[TR] Bugaboos - Various 8/4/2007

Trip: Bugaboos - Various

Date: 8/4/2007

Trip Report:

I'll spare you the chest beating, and instead share the stoke. Conditions are currently great in the Bugaboos. The B-S col is cruiser up and down right now.

Some photos for your viewing pleasure.

Snowpatch_Moon.JPG

Snowpatch.JPG

Kain.JPG

Joe_Leading.JPG

Ears_Between.JPG

Bugaboo.JPG

Hounds_Tooth.JPG

Howsers.JPG

Gear Notes:

Standard alpine rack, ice ax, crampons, etc.

Approach Notes:

Red Bull for the all night drive

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On another vein, we saw two helicopter rescues while we were there (within 72 hours of each other). Both times climbers were plucked right off the spires. Be careful out there! Although, I have to say I was thoroughly impressed by the speed and efficiency of these rescues. I was told by folks we talked to that the cost of these rescues is paid totally by tax dollars. The rescued climbers aren't asked to pay. Can anyone confirm this?

I was told by folks we talked to that the cost of these rescues is paid totally by tax dollars. The rescued climbers aren't asked to pay. Can anyone confirm this?

This is true in National Parks like Banff or Jasper where, as long as you have paid for the appropriate day or backcountry pass, rescues are included in the price of admission. For an area like the Bugs, which is a provincial park, SAR expenses could be passed on to those being rescued, but this rarely happens.

Technical rescues in the Bugs are often handed off to the Parks Canada wardens and Alpine Heli as they've got long line rescues dialed. Check out this video for a first hand view.

Do you have any details of both accident ?

On another vein, we saw two helicopter rescues while we were there (within 72 hours of each other). Both times climbers were plucked right off the spires. Be careful out there! Although, I have to say I was thoroughly impressed by the speed and efficiency of these rescues. I was told by folks we talked to that the cost of these rescues is paid totally by tax dollars. The rescued climbers aren't asked to pay. Can anyone confirm this?