hikin' shoes?

gapertimmy

i've become a firm believer that low cut shoes are the way to go for most hikes/approaches, and spare the feet some undue pain.

i'm wondering if any folks out there are from the same school of thought, and if so, what shoe/brand have you had the most luck with as a hiker.

I know folks have done the whole PCT in running shoes, or somthing crazy like that. my old hiking boots are pretty shot, and I want to get a new pair, but am thinking of just sticking with sneaks for bacpack trips and approaches.

so what do you use for lightweights?

TIMMAY

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as you are going light, low cut shoes can be fine. I wear 5.10s and the wife has and loves Lowa.

But when you begin to put weight in the rucksack, stay out for extended periods, or travel over rough terrain, I find a pair of midweight/duty boots are better. Getting the right balance between weight/comfort/support is the key and a hard one to find. [big Drink]

thank yalls very much. my pack is usually as light as possible on solo trips. but when my wife comes, it is usally weighted down by every single fricking piece of gear imaginable.

for the WT i'm going pretty light so i think trail shoes will suffice. I'll go try some of dem on. I have some 5.10 high cuts, they're ok, have had a pair of Lowa's for years and they have treated me very well.

decisions...

quote:

Originally posted by gapertimmy:

so what do you use for lightweights?

[/QB]

La Sportiva Hypers. Awesome. They've got the best shank of any of the Lightweights - you can even passably crampon with them. They are a bit hard to find (mtn tools carries them), adn they're not cheap ($130).

I've had absolutely no luck with the Salomons. I went through 2 pairs of Raidwinds in 3 days. Both times the fancy lacing system broke - not cool. The other pairs of Salomon lighwights have fallen apart quickly on me to.

As much as it's uncool .... the north face trail running shoes I've had are nice for hiking, and definitely durable(cheap too - from outlets)

Carl

Try THESE! WARNING: These boots will take you further than you think! I used these on my Mt. Goode trip THE WHOLE WAY! You can even put crampons on them if need be.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/product.asp?base%5Fno=61040&str%5Fbase%5Fno=60407%2C60514%2C60519%2C60548%2C60620%2C60622%2C60723%2C60750%2C60780%2C60874%2C60934%2C60955%2C60964%2 C61006%2C61023%2C61039%2C61040%2C61101%2C61102%2C61112%2C&header%5Ftitle=Footwear%2DHiking+Boots+and+Shoes&page%5Fname=prod%5Flist%5Fdisplay%2Easp&search%5Ftype=L2%7E347&size1=&siz e2=&gender=0&ShowImages=yes&sq=0&cont=1&intPgNo=1&special%5Ftype=&mscssid=6PPE8FFU47QN9PN74FUL4V0AFPUQ90M6

Tim,

They arn't the lightest, but I just got a pair ofGarmot Dragontails for wall climbin. They rallied on El Cap and were super pissed when my partners wanted to bail.

Low top, neumatic crampon compatible, 3/4 shank, and super buly rand.

Check em out! Next time I plan on doing 5.8 with a wall rack on El Cap, I'm bringing the crampons!

• 2 weeks later...