GU vs the competition.

Dru

I never see GU for sale but all the stores seem to have either Power Gel or Clif Shot. Are they all basically the same or what?

I have never sucked down ay of those gels yet. Dont 5thibnk i am Extreem enough to need em. Maybe for all night raving they might help.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the differences are so subtle you could only notice them in a lab setting. Taste is the only big difference. The story behind GU is pretty interesting and they used to (maybe still do) send you a packet for every 10 empty you send in, some kind of anti-litter deal.

When your really tanked GU can be like snorting a line of coke.

I think GU may have 10 more calories? That matters to me because I need every bit of extra energy.

I never used GU before I started doing some marathon climbing (ie keep on climbing into the dark and doing walls). I kept finding myself crashing even when eating what I thought was a good amount at belays and also having a GU every couple of hours.

Now on a wall I will do a GU every 1/2 hour to hour, and the same amount of food that I used to eat at the belay stations. That means for three days on a wall, you need more than 30 packets of GU!

Interesting though is that pound for pound, GU isn't that weight efficient, since it is liquid. But you cannot beat the convenience. And, for me on a long route, eating is a chore that has to be done, so GU fits the bill-fast and easy.

You should be able to find someone to sell you GU wholesale, and if you buy the multiflavor packs I think its cheaper. If you like Chocolate, a real deal is available, because I will be giving that flavor away cheap out of my multipacks. We'll be ordering our cases pretty soon for the Valley. Any orders for chocolate?

quote:

Originally posted by hollyclimber:

pound for pound, GU isn't that weight efficient, since it is liquid.

Hmmm, isn't it all pretty much sugar? Just because it's gu-ey doesn't mean there's extra weight because they've added water...

quote:

Originally posted by Cpt.Caveman:

In that case just bring sugar and water. Gu sucks
[big Grin]

BZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

And you wonder why there is too many bugs in your cave…Or is it dinner is served [big Grin][Wink][smile]

[ 06-24-2002, 11:36 AM: Message edited by: IceIceBaby ]

GU is not available in Canada because it has not been approved for sale by Health Canada. This is what their product support dept (known as the GU-RU) told me a year or so ago when I asked who their Canadian distributors were.

This doesn't mean there are any problems with GU, only that they haven't bothered to go through the approval process.

However, I have seen GU in at least one athletic store in North Vancouver that also has a business in the US, and were bringing it across through some loophole or another.

I've never tried GU, but PowerGel does the trick for me. More convenient than energy bars, and tastier too. The chocolate flavour was a big disappointment though.

Paul.

I never really seem to crash I guess because I have enough fat to burn in the long term that I dont run out of it. Thats probably why I have'nt taken up gel-sucking.

However I will keep it in mind for the future. especialy the stuff TG makes with alcohol in it [big Drink][big Drink] BARTENDER ANOTHER PINT OF GU!!! IM TRAINING!!!! [big Drink][big Drink][Cool]

Sugar is sucrose(sp?). A simple sugar that your body burns. Your body processes this sugar rapidly. That causes you body to produce insulin, to counteract the high level of sugar in you sysytem. Problem is, your body produces too much and then later you feel a little tired.

In GU (and others I assume), they use Fructose which is a sugar that comes from fruit & the like. It is a "better" sugar. Does not cause as much insulin to be produced or something like that.

I find on a 12 hour climb, one GU an hours works. I would like to have more but I do not want to carry any more weight than that. I use Cytomax to help retain H20 levels. One liter of Cytomax & one liter of H20 keeps me better hydrated than 2 liters of of H20.

It takes 1/2 liter of H20 to digest a energy bar and only a swallow to digest the GU. Energy bars are around 250 cals or 2 1/2 GU's. Less H20 to digest the GU's.

I have to have some fat at dinner after a day of GUing.

"Just Plain" GU sucks but I like the rest.

The "black tip" GU's are good too.

Pants pocket are usually gooey after a trip with all the emtpy packets.

Jedi

quote:

Originally posted by iain:

quote:

Originally posted by Jedi:

Pants pocket are usually gooey after a trip with all the emtpy packets.

Jedi

You'll run into the same problems with h.c. 'n cheese.

You can buy the EXXXXXtremeTex Outdoorsman CheeseXtremekeeper With Quick Release Horsecock Action ExtremeTubes at gander mountain sports for $49.97 this week only on sale. easily washable and keeps leaky cheeses from staining your pants. clip it to your belt loop with a locking biner for easy access to horsecock during crux nmoves, cheese when you want it, and a fashion statement that screams "EXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXTREME CLIMBER!!!"

My cheapo connection to Gu is drying up (ie quitting) so I need to find another way to get my fructose kick. I heard a while back that brown rice syrup, available at hippy-trippy health food shops, is a good substitute. Add your favorite flavoring and you've got generic Gu. Have any of you actually tried this, or know enough about foods/nutrition to say if it is BS?

G

Interesting. Here's the ingredient list for clifshot:

Brown rice syrup, cocoa powder, chocolate liquor, natural flavors, sea salt, potassium citrate, magnesium oxide.

Perhaps a chocolate recipie to try is:

brown rice syrup

hot cocoa powder

hershey's syrup

a touch of salt,

some ground up vitamins

for their 'razz sorbet' they just put in raspberry puree (read: jam).

Like most people, I like chocolate. When I'm working hard, it is a bit difficult to ave a lot of it though. Thoughts on other flavors to try?

Iain: how cost effective does brs end up being compared to Gu? [Confused]

Lundberg brand brown rice syrup is great. $4 for a jar, that fills up your standard REI squeeze tube 2.5 times. That's cheap energy. Same stuff as Clif Shot without their extra ingreds, but good still. I really do think that these kinds of energy foods (BRS or Gu) are like an IV drip of energy. Every time I am working very hard, and sit down for a break and have some, I get up and feel much stronger. Good times!

I prefer Vienna Sausages, spray cheese and Triscuits. Oh, and one of those cute little umbrella drinks. Oh, and while I'm at it, why not throw in some booty in a thong with bodacious tatas and a "come hither young man" look about her.

[ 06-24-2002, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: trask ]

i don't think they make salty goo or power gell dru. i think if you're nice though alpinek will give you some "goo" [laf][laf][Eek!] bring some extra paper towels just in case it starts running down your chin [laf][laf][laf]

[ 06-24-2002, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: crazypolishbob ]