Wyoming climbing help

needtoclimb

My girlfriend and I are taking a 3 week roadtrip to Yellowstone and the Tetons. Is there a Wyoming equivalent to Cascadeclimbers.com? Anyone know of a good resource for Wyoming climbing? We are going to spend a week or so in Yellowstone, then hopefully climb one of the Tetons. Not sure what else to do.

Also, any Wyoming locals here who can advise me on September weather there?

Thanks

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, there's not. It should be really easy to plan.

Check the weather www.weather.gov

Buy a guidebook for the Tetons (there is a great little select one)

Call the Teton Ranger Station. They are not like rangers in the cascades...they actually climb and go outside. They will be invaluable.

September should be really nice. Cold on the N.facing climbs, and it could thunder and pour...but it could also be prettier than a Georgia peach

http://mountainproject.com/v/wyoming/105708960

The forum section on this site can be a reasonable way to get in touch with local climbers, though I'm not certain how active the Wyoming area is.

With three weeks, you might consider some other areas in Wyoming. Wild Iris and Sinks both have great sport climbing in beautiful settings. Vedauwoo is a long drive from where you'll be, but is well worth checking out, especially if you don't dread climbing OW. Devil's Tower would also be a cool destination.

As was said - show up at the Jeny Lake Ranger Station and talk to the boys. My suggestion would be to to like many and head up Garnet Canyon and do a route on the Grand and Middle. Try Irene Arete as well. For some excellent day cragging head Death Canyon - Caveat Emptor is a fun route.

As for September weather - rain, sleet, snow, sunshine, hail. Any and everything in otherwords - be prepared for it. If you do get moisture that time of year be very prepared for veriglass - things like the OS which is on the west side of the Grand can be very dangerous when descending because of veriglass. More than one person has gone for the ride of their life there. The Exum which is south facing will be reasonable because of sunshine.