What is to do in Portland?

TREETOAD

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bringing yer rockshoes and a harness Toad?

The link to the few remaining pussies who still get on rock in PDX link.

There's about 3 or 4 places relatively close to get a pump, depending on how much time you have etc etc.

PS, did not see this yet, but Powell's bookstore in NW Portland (not the technical bookstore which is a few blocks away but smaller) downtown is a hell of a great place to browse if you like books. Furthermore, you can grab a book you like and wander right into the in store coffeshop and read it if you desire.

From there- its a short walk to 2 great lil places: Bridgeport, where the IPA wins awards and the Blue Heron is sublime. They sell "cask conditioned ales" which are not available elsewhere that are significantly smoother and of a more full flavor. Unfortunately, it's no longer a cozy rathole with the best Pizza and Caesar Salads in NW PDX, but a more upscale, expensive environment (Still it's good food). Rogue ales is fairly good as well and even closer to Powells.

Don't know SE well, sorry I can't give you better advice for that area.

I am heading there with my much better half, is it a used book store? We always like to come home with a half dozen books or so.

I will check it out for sure, and then it would unnatural to neglect the fine ales down the road. Thanks for all the great info. I much appreciate it.

the basics:

- east and west is divided by the river

- north and south is divided by burnside street

keep in mind:

- no sales tax... now is the time to buy that new rope, etc etc

- buses, trams, light rail, street cars... oh my! mass transit here works... some of it is even free! give it a go!

The short list...

stuff in the Hawthorne/Belmont neighborhood (aka where you are staying aka walking distance) which is in SE PDX:

- stumptown coffee (which you can get in SEA)

- I'd pick Aalto Lounge over Horse's Brass any day unless you like the idea of second smoke induced lung cancer

- Other SE bars near where you are staying: Sapphire Hotel, Bar of the Gods

- Bagdad is okay but at the end of the day it is still a McMenamins which means the beer is so so at best at least compared to what else you can get in town

- there is a powells (used books) on Hawthorne but go to the one in NW

Other SE PDX:

- lots of music shops...

- OMSI (bodyworks 3 currently)

- drinking: noble rot (if you like wine more than beer), doug fir (at least worth a walk around inside), produce row

NE/North PDX:

- crossfithel

- drinking: rocket (oh so pimpin), amnesia

- coffee: albina press, fresh pot,

- music millennium

NW PDX

- lots and lots of records stores (vinyl) along burnside (both sides)

- powells (plan on 1/2 a day if you are a reader)

- voodoo doughnuts... NyQuil: enough said

- ecotrust building: home of patagonia, ecotrust/salmon nation, etc... beautiful beautiful building

SW PDX

- ride the tram

- one of the many farmers market every wed and sun

- walk on waterfront (east and west)

- circuit bouldering gym (at least walk around... amazing terrain)

Do you have access to a car? If so...

- columbia gorge

- beacon

- mt hood

• 2 weeks later...

Had a great time in Portland. We met the expected interesting people at the hostel, got no sleep there which was pretty well expected as well. Booked out of there. We used the print out form here and nailed many of the recommendations.

Stumptown was very very good. We hit three of them and spent some time in the tasting room chatting with the guys in there. bought beans. Powell's IS fucking huge and we could easily have spent a week in there. Bought books.

The Eco trust building is a very cool building and Patagonia just happened to be blowing out all last years stuff at only slightly exorbitant prices which we still could not afford. Found Next Adventure and bought a new stove and snow boarding pants. Ate well and had a good time. We headed out and blitzed through to Leavenworth and crashed up icicles rd. and then cruised up through Winthrop and crashed at the blue lake trailhead and the headed home. It has been a while since we have been able to just trip along and do whatever we felt like. Thanks again for the tips. Had a blast.

Another honorable mention is the Concordia Public House at NE 33rd and Killingsworth. They have the most interesting taps, from differing regions, that I've seen in this town yet.

I believe the pancake place that Cobra speaks of is the Hotcake House, open 24hours, on Powell and....well, it's near the 99. Probably at 15th or so? The usual sure thing, especially where you'll be staying, is the Cup and Saucer at Hawthorne and SE 35th.

A gent in Bellingham this past weekend said that Stumptown was indeed invading Seattle...it's already being set up. I guess it was only a matter of time...

Check out the local rag, Portland Mercury, for shows going on (including the Hawthorne Theatre, real close to where you'll be staying).

A gent in Bellingham this past weekend said that Stumptown was indeed invading Seattle...it's already being set up. I guess it was only a matter of time...

Theres one going in next to rudys on Pine. Still under construction. They also invaded bend, under the surname of Thump. Damn good coffee, so I guess I shouldnt complain too much.