tour de squamish

underworld

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Snoboy said, it's pretty limited. There's a nice but short ride up Paradise Valley Road, and a longer ride up Squamish Valley, but that road is getting a bit pounded by heavy trucks involved in the Ashlu power project. And other than that there's Hwy 99, but it's mostly a construction site all the way south to Lions Bay. Or you can head north on the highway, in which case you'll get about half way to Whistler before you start running into construction zones again. Once the highway is finished it'll be much better, but it's all potholes and gravel and flagpeople right now, so not a lot of fun. OR... you can drive to Whistler and ride from there to Pemberton and back. Otherwise my advice would be to bring a mountain bike instead.

Aside from the nastiness of riding alongside that hwy construction, the persistent wind in Squamish has always factored in to my reserverations of road biking there. Kinda sucks the fun of out it for me.

I'd second the suggestion for taking the mountain bike, instead. Pick up a copy of MacClane's "Squamish Trail Guide" at Valhalla--excellent beta for piecing together a good ride or trail run in the area.

Beyond Whistler the construction will be minimal - just regular maintenance stuff, as opposed to the total rebuild of the entire roadway that's happening to the south. Also much less traffic beyond Whistler. I think Whistler to Pemberton and back would be a really good ride. Kinda hilly (steep in a couple of short sections), but scenic, with good swimming at each end, and a nice rest/snack spot at the Pony Espresso when you get to Pemberton.