Bridge Collapse

carolyn

oh...and fuck bush...the amount of money that fucking dipshit is currently pouring into that sandheap could totally retrofit/rebuild OUR OWN damn infrastructure instead of shit that will just get torn down or blown up by some stupid camel jockey...that fuckin' tool (bush, not the camel jockey, actually, scratch that, it applies to both)...

Edited by RuMR

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh...and fuck bush...the amount of money that fucking dipshit is currently pouring into that sandheap could totally retrofit/rebuild OUR OWN damn infrastructure instead of shit that will just get torn down or blown up by some stupid camel jockey...that fuckin' tool (bush, not the camel jockey, actually, scratch that, it applies to both)...

Yes. Of course. :rolleyes::noway:

Yes. Of course. :rolleyes::noway:

yeah carl, you're right...my bad...all of that money and resources is sooooo well spent there... :rolleyes: tool...

OK, guys, let's tone it down or move it to another thread in Spray.

After all, this is officially the Bridge Collapse Speculation Thread now. :)

Crux-

As Rudy already stated, many bridges in this country carry that rating; it's not that uncommon, and people drive over them each and every day. I was working on replacing one of them (albeit a very small one - not like Rudy's Tacoma Narrows or anything like that, cuz I'm not a SE) before I took this new job. People in that town are still griping over the fact that they will have to detour five miles to get to town from their current commute, yet they're demanding that the bridge be replaced. AND they don't want to pay for a temp bridge to eliminate the detour! So there ya go... no one wants to pay for a goddamn thing, but they're ready to pull the blame trigger as soon as the shit hits the fan. :rolleyes:

no Sobo...one could argue that bridge collapsed due to lack of funding/resources...in fact, that is the primary reason for its collapse...if you think about it, repairing a structure is actually pretty damn easy if there's a blank check involved...

520 actually has a lot of things going for it structurally...that little bridge is far exceeding what its designers anticipated...

Hmmm. I'm not so sure. I was living in Bellevue and commuting to Seattle when the old I-90 sank. That sure messed things up, when they did get the new bridge back open they had giant tug boats tied to it driving southbound.

Its been years of haggling over how to fund a new Twins (baseball) stadium in the cities. I believe its costing us residents in the county somewhere around $700 million through an increase in sales taxes. They were suppose to have a groundbreaking ceremony, yesterday?!?!.

Financial priorities in this state (as with most others, including the country as a whole) is probably where any monetary problems stem.

Congress, not President Bush, makes the budget and appropriates money, right? So, Congress does what it can to appropriate money for bridge repairs (utilizing the gas tax, among other things). According to an AP story I just read, Transportation spending has increased 30% in recent years. Bush has, however, vetoed several Transportation bills. Why? Because of a high level of pork barrel spending attached to these bills.

I know you don't like the President's war stance, Rudy; however, consider Congress's complicity, as well, in all this.

bush et. al. is representative of our gov't, from my viewpoint...

sure congress approves everything...let me revise my stance...the fed gov't is a fuckin' looneybin...there, ya happy now?

The social engineers running our city, county and state don't want to fix bridges and fund anything that supports SOV on the roads. It's in their interest to let this infrastructure rot in place while they fund their own agenda. :wave:

What part of "...find its way into our roads and bridges..." didn't you understand?

In other news, this from the ASCE today:

August 3, 2007

Dear ASCE Member:

On behalf of our 140,000 members, ASCE extends its deepest condolences to the victims, the injured, their families and all others affected by the catastrophic bridge collapse in Minneapolis on August 1st. The I-35W bridge's main 458-foot span collapsed into the Mississippi River during evening rush hour, sending dozens of vehicles and tons of concrete and twisted metal into the waters of the Mississippi River 64 feet below.

In recent weeks, addressing the state of the nation's infrastructure has come into the forefront of national media. ASCE continues to work closely with the media and our elected leaders to provide authoritative information and technical expertise on our nation's infrastructure crisis. Although the cause of the collapse is unknown at this time, the bridge failure appears to be another tragic example of this crisis.

ASCE periodically assesses the state of our nation's infrastructure, most recently through the 2005 Report Card for America's Infrastructure. Our Infrastructure Action Plan spells out short term steps the U.S. Congress should take to improve our infrastructure. Together, we need to advocate for public policy action to make our country's infrastructure safer and sustainable for future generations. ASCE estimates that $1.6 trillion is needed over a five-year period to bring the nation's infrastructure to a good condition. Funds must be invested and significant steps must be made on the national level, as well as in state legislatures and local communities, to improve our nation's failing infrastructure.

ASCE is working closely with Congress to advance the National Infrastructure Improvement Act, S. 775, which was approved this week by the Senate but still must be passed by the House. This bill would establish a National Commission on Infrastructure to study deficiencies and make improvements to maximize economic growth in the United States. Under the measure, the commission would analyze the present condition of various infrastructure systems and report to Congress by 2009 on the capacity of our infrastructure to support the national economy, the age of the systems and possible methods to finance improvements.

ASCE will continually provide updated information related to the Minneapolis bridge collapse at our Web site, asce.org. We urge you to stay abreast of new developments by visiting this Web page. Also visit the infrastructure blog where our members can share information and communicate with one another on new developments and related issues. You will receive a special e-newsletter devoted to infrastructure.

ASCE members should remember it is their duty to communicate these needs to their elected officials. ASCE has many resources available, including the "Six Clicks" (or less) advocacy Web site and lobbying packets on the Infrastructure Action Plan to share with your elected leaders. This week's events are a sobering reminder that we all depend on the nation's infrastructure every day.

ASCE is committed to mobilizing the expertise within our membership and continuing our efforts to do everything possible to build support for actions to address our infrastructure crisis.

We are deeply saddened by the tragic loss of life that has occurred and we continue to extend our heartfelt sympathies to all those affected by this horrific event.

W.F. Marcuson III, Ph.D., P.E., Hon. M.ASCE

President

Patrick J. Natale, P.E., CAE, F.ASCE

Executive Director

empahasis added by sobo

My understanding is that, in this state, 70% of transportation $$ are going to HOV/Mass Transit-related projects. Clearly, we need more general purpose capacity as SOV's/Taxpayers have indicated. Maybe we'll be more willing to "pony up" for bridges and highways when (Mostly Democrat in this state)politicians start listening to what we want and stop playing mother knows best - and signing off on expensive projects for their union backers.

Also, a little more $$ accountability $$ would be nice.

BTW; The Tacoma Narrows project was magnificently funded, planned, and built. Also proves that more lanes = less congestion. Too bad all projects aren't as well thought out.

Edited by Fairweather