kevbone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

you can see it from space...

Visibility from near earth orbit

A different question is whether it is visible from near-Earth orbit, i.e at an altitude of less than 500 kilometers (311 mi) (0.1% of the distance of the moon). The consensus here is that it is barely visible, and only under nearly perfect conditions; it is no more conspicuous than many other manmade objects.

Astronaut William Pogue thought he had seen it from Skylab but discovered he was actually looking at the Grand Canal of China near Beijing. He spotted the Great Wall with binoculars, but said that "it wasn't visible to the unaided eye." US Senator Jake Garn claimed to be able to see the Great Wall with the naked eye from a space shuttle orbit in the early 1980s, but his claim has been disputed by several US astronauts. Chinese astronaut Yang Liwei said he could not see it at all.

Veteran US astronaut Gene Cernan has stated: "At Earth orbit of 160 kilometers (99 mi) to 320 kilometers (199 mi) high, the Great Wall of China is, indeed, visible to the naked eye." Ed Lu, Expedition 7 Science Officer aboard the International Space Station, adds that, "it's less visible than a lot of other objects. And you have to know where to look."

Topographic maps put together showing the location of the eastern parts of the wall between the Yellow River and the Bohai SeaNeil Armstrong stated about the view from Apollo 11: "I do not believe that, at least with my eyes, there would be any man-made object that I could see. I have not yet found somebody who has told me they've seen the Wall of China from Earth orbit. ... I've asked various people, particularly Shuttle guys, that have been many orbits around China in the daytime, and the ones I've talked to didn't see it." [5]

Leroy Chiao, a Chinese-American astronaut, took a photograph from the International Space Station that shows the wall. It was so indistinct that the photographer was not certain he had actually captured it. Based on the photograph, the China Daily later reported that the Great Wall can be seen from space with the naked eye, under favorable viewing conditions, if one knows exactly where to look.[6]

just thought i'd clear that up

Looks just like that too. All the Chinese want to walk the part of the wall that Mao walked. Mao said: anyone who walks the wall is a People's hero.

Heading the other direction you soon find yourself alone and in peace with an occasional Euro doing the same.

Good stuff. Looks like good, near endless bouldering on quarried limestone if you are into traverses, but not wanting to piss off the locals and get tossed before we went to Tibet last September, I begged off.

didn't you go to high school?? didn't you take any kind of geography class? Is this new to you??? WTF...

you can see it from space...

Actually, well no. You can't see the great wall from space with the naked eye....

oops. sorry. I did not read the indepth clearification.

I walked the great wall so does that make me a hero?

Edited by sirwoofalot

Seriously is a good way to put it. Did you check out the picture.....look closely, the wall continues wwwaaaayyyyy back in the upper right hand side of the picture.

Q: How many miles of wall do you think are pictured in that photo?

uhmm, a whole lot.

I think it is visible from space. I saw a picture once.