Novice Prepin' 4 Winter Rainier Climb

cuattop

Where should I climb in Southern CA to prepare for a winter climb of Mt. Rainier? I need to develop skills in all areas :). I have never snow camped before. I plan on hiking with Rainier Mountaineering Inc. but yep, need to gain some skills.

Any suggestions? Anyone else in LA area wanting to do the same?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where should I climb in Southern CA to prepare for a winter climb of Mt. Rainier? I need to develop skills in all areas :). I have never snow camped before. I plan on hiking with Rainier Mountaineering Inc. but yep, need to gain some skills.

Any suggestions? Anyone else in LA area wanting to do the same?

Apologize for unrequested advice, but Rainier in winter is a major undertaking, and my guess is that the odds of a weather window are pretty slim relative to say, July. I'd be hesitant to

throw down ~$1,000 bucks for RMI, and another $1,000 for air-travel, gear rental etc. and be locked into a climbing window with little or no flexibility given what winters are like around here.

You can learn to winter camp on your trip, you are paying them to teach you these skills. However, you can increase your chances of enjoying the trip by having the right gear to stay warm. You also need to eat and hydrate to stay warm. If they are providing the food I would bring some goodies that you enjoy. A snickers bar at bed time (after a HUGE dinner of course) will help keep you warm. Bring a positive attitude and be prepared to work hard and you should enjoy the trip and learn lots.

You can learn to winter camp on your trip, you are paying them to teach you these skills. However, you can increase your chances of enjoying the trip by having the right gear to stay warm. You also need to eat and hydrate to stay warm. If they are providing the food I would bring some goodies that you enjoy. A snickers bar at bed time (after a HUGE dinner of course) will help keep you warm. Bring a positive attitude and be prepared to work hard and you should enjoy the trip and learn lots.

Ditto. Add to that just be in good shape and you will enjoy it more.

There are no places in SCA to really prepare for the winter climbing on Rainier right now; simply it's a summer time. If you going with guides you are fine anyway; you don't have to do much thinking. However, keeping in physical and mental shape is important. For this you can do backpacking of some 14rs in the Sierra, especially in bad weather conditions. Find any remains of reasonably steep snow/ice fields/glaciers and practice crampons and ice-ax (ice-tools) skills (e.g. U and/or V notch). The best way, however, is to do winter (Dec-Jan-Feb) climbing in the Sierra, for example, Mt Whitney. The bad or at least diverged weather is almost guaranteed. The best way to prepare for mountaineering is mountaineering.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...