City of Rocks in August

kevino

Looking to make one more climbing trip before the start of cross country and school. The weekend of 25th/26th in August is our last free weekend. How is the weather there around that time of year?

Also, which is the best guidebook for the area? Thanks.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey what up Kevino! Save a spot in the car for me! Call me.

It isn't so bad, I was there for a while in Sept. last year. You live in Ellensburg, you can deal with the heat.

The ranger station also makes color photo copies for you of castle rock, a cool area just down the road. I am no help for a guidebook though, used it for toilet paper.

NYC007, sawtooths is a little too much hassle for a weekend.

The general north-south orientation of the fins makes it possible to follow shade on the west and then the east sides of formations. Conversely, this also works to your advantage when following the sun on the colder notch seasons.

Castle Rocks is lower/hotter/less shady, but does offer some relief. Check out the Hostess Gully early in the day, I think Shock and Awe is morning shade, and an early early start for Red Rib would be worth it: that pitch is very tasty.