• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
FBCC

Outdoor Retailer, Climbing in SLC on 8/8/07

Anyone heading out to SLC for the Outdoor Retailer Show?

interested in climbing on 8/8/07 perhaps, Little Cotton Wood Canyon??

Andy

On occassion we have a mini-pub club here in SLC during the show. Anyone interested again this year?

The canyons will probably be a little toasty for climbing unless you can find some of the few shady routes.

ferguson canyon is the coolest/closest option for climbing. i will be around that town on the 6th. kina early for show types.

I'd be interested in some craggin or a Pub Club. I'm arriving ubtil 8:30pm on the 8th and leaving Sunday afternoon. Also, it's my 1st show so if you have any tips, I would appreciate hearing them.

I'm not arriving until Thursday, but could conceivably do a Pub club thing one of the three nights.

Lets pick a night then. I nominate Friday, anyplace in the area have good beer? Now that I think about it, probably not that good in SLC.

I'm pretty underwhelmed by the options. I think Thinker should help us out since he lives in SLC. Maybe there's something new in the downtown area that we could check out.

The beer is not good in SLC, but they have cocktails some places.

So Crakers and I are meeting on the floor Friday near the end of the day. If an SLC PC is gonna happen, we'll come by, if not, some of the better places to eat down there are farther afield and we'll jump in the rental car and head out.

For summertime outings in LCC you'll want to climb on the PentaPitch Buttress, Coalpit Buttress, and Daddy Long-Legs Wall during the 1st half of the day.

If your lookin' for an all-day affair you'll want to take up lummox recommendation and head into Fergusen Canyon.

After your jaunt into the LCC/BCC area i would recommend thrownin' down at The Cotton Bottom Tavern. just off 6200 South at the base of Big Cottonwood Canyon, look for the faded wooden sign featuring a bunny rabbit hoisting a beer. this tiny beer joint grills up the best damn garlic burgers. the usual patrons are the outdoor-type and grizzled locals.

After your jaunt into the LCC/BCC area i would recommend thrownin' down at The Cotton Bottom Tavern. ... best damn garlic burgers.

mmm. cotton bottom. mmm.

anybody interested in sweet potato fries at the bayou?

Let see for good beer head to the Bayou. I would skip the brew pubs like Squatters and Red Rock not cause their beer is bad it is pretty good. But being so close to the show they will be very crowded. The Bayou does get crowded on the weekends though.

As for climbing - it is dam hot here. We have gone to morning climbing instead. Some places for morning climbing. S-Curves, Sports Challenge Buttrees, Psycho-Babble are quick and easy to get to. For nice all day head to Alta and Albion Basin and play on Devil's Castle or some of the new climbs around Cerect Lake.

Hello all

Thanks for all the input. Sorry I have been off the Radar since I asked the question back on 7/31/07. Just got back from taking the kids to Glacier NP & Yellowstone NP, it was great!

So it looks like eveyone is saying climb early in the morning and suggests climbing in certain areas for easy access or to avoid the heat, however I really haven't seen anyone say I am in for climbing the morning of the 8th. I see that Marylou and crackers are meeting end of the day Friday on the floor. Is everyone on this string invited? where on the floor?

Thanks again for all the input

Andy

I will be in a meeting @ Bridgedale that should end around 5p.

Yes they will have Guinness there. If you need to know my real name Pm. See y'alls there.

Hi Crackers and Marylou

thanks for the update

Unbeknownst to me I was scheduled for a dinner that night, but I will try to come by and say hi

see you @ Bridgedale around 5:00pm

Andy