Pope convicted by his "peers"

pope

I think Lynn must be in her mid forties, and has been climbing since the mid seventies. There's a handful of folks here who might legitimately lump her into a category of "those other new kids." Are you really that old in the climbing game? I'm not being snide, it's an honest question, since I can't really see you though that itty bitty intertube that connects to you all the way over to where you live.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Lynn must be in her mid forties, and has been climbing since the mid seventies. There's a handful of folks here who might legitimately lump her into a category of "those other new kids." Are you really that old in the climbing game? I'm not being snide, it's an honest question, since I can't really see you though that itty bitty intertube that connects to you all the way over to where you live.

SORRY MY BAD, TYPO: PLS READ LYNN WITH HOT NEW KIDS (XOUT OTHER)

i'm in u district!! i started climbing 10-12years ago.i come from running background where posing and aid are not big sellers.(they dont have the downhill 4min mile yet) i love nature's dance and my humble place in it.messner's quote of "the rape of the impossible" loosely finds me.thats just me. however, what bolters do to the rock is irreversible.(+-)

if i view this debate as a non-climber, i dont think we should bolt everywhere.

as a climber i dont like to see them much.

over and out on this one

Edited by virendra7

bolts are part of climbing. i think that you speak of over bolting.

IT ALL STARTED WITH ONE BOLT... of course bolting trad routes etc is just the worse.specially stuff under 5.12-13. kids with drills will mess this up real bad if climbers dont make a stand .

we all want glory, but few put in what it takes.

Yes, but climbing is but one measure of a man, and I have no doubt life provides you with no small number of rather stark reminders of this fact rather more often than you'd like.

Actually, Pope will severely kick most anyone's ass up a very long hill on a mountain bike too - including mine. Yet another measure. He also has his own personal refrigerator full of beer out in the garage. Do you?

BTW; who's the idiot that placed these bolts?

Frankenstein.jpg

I'm not sure how to grade my solo climbs. I sure as hell never solo climbed 5.10b but I did solo the NW ridge of Sir Donald. I know it's only a wimpy 5.4 but its really long and I did down solo the whole thing.

Please don't be harsh on your grading. :cry:

So what if it's "only 5.4"? That's gotta be one of the coolest looking mountains anywhere. It's on my list. Nice work, Feck.

..so tell me stud, why don't you solo anymore????

When my mother found out, it made her cry. Real men don't make their mothers cry.

Damn!

You really oughta give your momma's tits a break.

You must be a school boy on summer break. How do I infer? 'Cause you've got NO CLASS!

I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M RUBBING SHOULDERS WITH THE GREATNESS CONTAINED IN THIS THREAD. WHILE PERHAPS UNDER-APPRECIATED, WE ARE GRACED WITH THE PRESENCE OF A LIVING LEGEND WHO TRULY IS PEERLESS AND SHOULD BE GIVEN THE REINS TO STEER THE CLIMBING WORLD TO A GREATER GOOD BASED ON HIS PAST AMAZING AND FRIGHTFUL FREE CLIMBING ABILITY ALONE. THINK ABOUT IT! THIS IS SOMEONE WHO NOT ONLY HAS THE BALLS TO FREE CLIMB TO HARDER THAN YOU EVER WILL, BUT ALSO IS WILLING TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT IT. SUCH MEN ARE FEW. THANKS FOR LETTING ME HANG OUT WITH YOU ON THE ONLINE CYBER WORLD MR. POPE. I WANT TO SEE MORE PICTURES AND TALES OF YOUR EXPLOITS SO I CAN VICARIOUSLY LIVE THE AMERICAN DREAM FROM THE SAFE CONFINES OF MY PEANUT SHELL. MORE PLEASE!! MORE! :tup::tup::tup:

Witty. No, I mean it. But you really shouldn't have gone through so much trouble. Next time, a tiny but highly exciting little BLOW JOB will suffice.

SORRY MY BAD, TYPO: PLS READ LYNN WITH HOT NEW KIDS (XOUT OTHER)

i'm in u district!! i started climbing 10-12years ago.i come from running background where posing and aid are not big sellers.(they dont have the downhill 4min mile yet) i love nature's dance and my humble place in it.messner's quote of "the rape of the impossible" loosely finds me.thats just me. however, what bolters do to the rock is irreversible.(+-)

if i view this debate as a non-climber, i dont think we should bolt everywhere.

as a climber i dont like to see them much.

over and out on this one

There's tremendous truth in what you're saying. Hold on to your ideals.

All I know is I was impressed with Pope's solo, but that whole chalk bag thing has changed my mind. Poor solo style. :tdown:

Actually, that bag was full of alpine snacks: Vienna sausage, kippered fish (in mustard sauce), sweet cherry peppers, imported yuppie cheese and Sheaf Stout. The photographer (Jon Sheriff) and I once manufactured a small number of custom chalk bags made to the specifications of elite and demanding climbers. These hand-crafted bags weren't available for Jeff Smoot's famous chalk bag review, and so we were never able to ascertain their "dipability" coefficient. But I promise you they were the cat's ass. In the Brass Balls photo you can see one of these custom bags, constructed with a special tropical fish print fabric. These bags were highly desirable and production was slow. Occasionally fist fights broke out over who would receive the next bag.

..so tell me stud, why don't you solo anymore????

When my mother found out, it made her cry. Real men don't make their mothers cry.

Damn!

You really oughta give your momma's tits a break.

You must be a school boy on summer break. How do I infer? 'Cause you've got NO CLASS!

The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is.

Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place.

All I know is I was impressed with Pope's solo, but that whole chalk bag thing has changed my mind. Poor solo style. :tdown:

Actually, that bag was full of alpine snacks: Vienna sausage, kippered fish (in mustard sauce), sweet cherry peppers, imported yuppie cheese and Sheaf Stout. The photographer (Jon Sheriff) and I once manufactured a small number of custom chalk bags made to the specifications of elite and demanding climbers. These hand-crafted bags weren't available for Jeff Smoot's famous chalk bag review, and so we were never able to ascertain their "dipability" coefficient. But I promise you they were the cat's ass. In the Brass Balls photo you can see one of these custom bags, constructed with a special tropical fish print fabric. These bags were highly desirable and production was slow. Occasionally fist fights broke out over who would receive the next bag.

Vienna sausages, kippers, and Sheaf Stout. I'm sorry I said anything bad about you.

Way to style your solo :tup:

When it comes to beer I'd take a Thirsty Beaver, but that's just me.

"The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is." "Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place." Dechristo

Some thought provoking stuff Dechristo.

Nice thread, nice photo Pope.

BTW; who's the idiot that place these bolts?

Frankenstein.jpg

DrFrankenstein.jpg

"The more things a man is ashamed of, the more respectable he is." "Humor is the great thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place." Shaw and Clemens