I need a tent

doubletall

I need a tent for hiking, backcountry skiing, etc... Not sure if a three season will be sufficient or if I should fork out the cash for a four season. If it's blowing and puking, I won't be heading out but I don't want a tent that's going to fall apart if I get caught in some weather. Any suggestions on brands and specific models. It's not going to see a lot of use; maybe three to four times a year.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new REI plus II looks pretty well designed and not only it is cheap for a 3 1/2 season tent, it is also light weight and besides you really don't want to be up there in the mountain when a big one is heading that way. Trust me, you don't want to be inside your tent when the wind is blowing 75 to 100 mph anyway. Goodluck !

I've have a couple versions of Sierra Designs convertible tents and really like them. I have a Lookout and an Alpha (or Omega, whichever is the 3-man version). They are a tad heavy, but not as heavy and expensive as a full-on 4-season tent. My Alpha (or Omega) held up really well during a good wind storm (should that be "bad wind storm"?) at Muir last summer. The Lookout survived a good (or bad) rain in the Goat Rocks a few years ago. Personally, I like the 3-man tents for the space. Although I have smaller tents for going light, I tend to carry the heavier tents most of the time.

Poseur is right that sooner or later you will own a single wall - but unless you dedicate your life to fast an light you won't use it.

For most trips I prefer TNF's Mountain Tent/Mountain 25 - it's a bit bigger than the Bibler which is nice for skiing trips, and when your stuck in a tent. Sure it weighs 8 lbs - but your not kissing the guy next to you in it. And it has a vestibul you can cook in. And at $330 for the 2001 model from Campmor it's a lot cheaper than a Bibler.

I have the Marmot Hardshell, which is a beefier (eg hotter in the summer) version of their Nutshell tent. It's been a rock solid sort of 3 and a half season tent for several seasons of use. If you can find one of these (I don't think Marmot makes them any more) I think it would suit your needs quite well. It's not super lightweight, about 4 and a half pounds, but it's certainly no eight pounder, either. It's free-standing, 3 poles, and easy to put up. Roomy enough for a guy over 6' too.

Backpacker magazine puts out a Gear Guide every Feb or March, and they go over all of that stuff there. I'm betting they have the info at their website too.

Bibler Fitzroy has been the best tent I've owned. The I-Tent is lighter, but it's too cramped with 2 people stuck waiting out a long storm. Fitzroy is plenty big enough and held up at Muir in 60mph+ winds no problem. It was spendy but worth it in my opinion. There's also an optional vestibule.

Drew

quote:

Originally posted by cj001f:

I prefer TNF's Mountain Tent/Mountain 25 - it's a bit bigger than the Bibler which is nice for skiing trips, and when your stuck in a tent.

I have a North Face VE25 that I could sell to you for $100. Its in pretty good shape - I have only used it 3-4 times in the last couple years and the previous owner also claimed minimal use.

PM me if interested.

I spent a windy night at Iceberg lake (12,500') on Mt. Whitney recently in the Hilleberg Akto.

PROS: The guy-system is great, flapping was minimal, even with 50mph gusts. Setup is a snap, even in windy conditions. Cooking/storing my pack in the full size vestibule was sweet.

CONS: With spindrift flying everywhere, I had to keep it zipped up. Venting was not so good. I woke up to a frost-covered interior which promptly dropped on everything inside the tent whenever I moved. I improvised a "frost squeegee" out of my baseball cap which worked pretty well. I read on Hilleberg's site that venting is improved in this year's model and it's also lighter. Inside space is pretty minimal but you're out in the Mountains to climb, not sit comfortably in your tent, right?

I love my Bibler Eldorado. I'm 6-2 and have plenty of room. With a little digging around you can usually find a used one somewhere. Make sure you get the one with the vents in the apex of the tent, not the tube vents pictured above, they make a world of difference. Keep an eye out on the Bibler/Black Diamond website for closeouts, whatever choice you make.

fyi, the Bibler recently stood up to winds that snapped a pole in a Stevenson and inverted a SD. The NF next to me survived, though, damnit.......