What do you cook in the mountians?

bstach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pasta, basil pesto, parmesan. A few fresh veggies (peppers, broccoli) are awesome if you want to carry the extra weight. :)

great idea!

I always carry a few roma tomatos, cucumbers & ranch dressing. Very nice after the approach hike with a cup of coffee.

:yoda:

Spaghetti sauce leather made in Harvest Maid food dryer. Make the sauce. Line food dryer tray with wax paper -spray lightly with oil. Spread sauce on wax paper and dry to a sheet like food leather. Fold the sauce leather and place it in a Ziploc bag. Label and store in freezer until ready to go. In camp in the morning, fill the Ziploc bag with water and leave it to soak all day. That night, boil the pasta, drain, and pour the sauce over it. Fresh grated parm cheese. The warm pasta is enough heat to warm up the sauce. Enjoy with freeze dried merlot.

I love the idea of melting powerbars and spreading them on bagels, I will have to try that. I personally subscribe to eating whatever is the easiest and lightest I can come up with. If I am not melting snow then I am not carrying a stove, and eat cold. If carrying a stove I don't like to have to heat the water beyond warm, cook much. Powdered potatos and bagels are great "expander technology" to enhance/enlarge any meal. Back when I drank coffee, I put "coffee bags" in a cup of cold water over night and had "moon coffee" in the morning. Sucked, but beat carrying a stove. Fast, light, and cheap calories is the trick.

Edit: "I like my calories like I like my women; fast, light and cheap."

Edited by high_on_rock

Amphetamines and lots of GU. Also, Mountain House Turkey Tetrazinni w/ instant potatoes mixed in. ALWAYS add plenty of water to freeze dried food bags. Once, I was low on water but hungry as hell, the result was semi-hydrated, very crunchy MH Beef Stew and I couldn't take a dump for about a week afterwards. It wasn't funny. Don't laugh.

Can you really eat marmots? What about those little chipmunks? People wearing shorts over poly?

I'm more curious about what others drink in the mtns. I like Crater Lake vodka w/ a sports drink mix. Mmmmmm!

When we remember, the nalgene flask with some gentleman jack or johnny walker red.

Usually the mountain house or backcountry pantry, then we add angel hair pasta to it - adds the calories the 6'4" boyfriend needs.

Screw salt and pepper - chipotle tobasco sauce is the topper for everything. Tang as a nice change from water. I can't do Cliff Bars but old school power bars and gu work. i'll have to try the melted power bar. And dark chocolate Swiss Mix was perfect on our last snow outing.

A good point made above is that the fortunate folks here who are out most every weekend may well eat diffetntly than those of us who make just a few overnights a summer. Out every weekend: make your own dinners. Out on 3-4 overnights per year - typically better to buy some freeze dried chow. (I still have a long-ago purchased box of dried milk in the freezer that I am sure will never get used!)

Snack favorites: good olives in a 4 oz nalgene bottle, and add olive oil to cook with.

Pecorino Romano cheese - salty, handles hot weather well.

Tamari almonds

choco covered coffee beans on cold climbs

Spiz power drink, if it's going to be a real long day

http://www.spiz.net/

I'm not really a picky eater and am a fan of Idahoan potatoes because you can cook them in their own package just like the fancy freeze dried foods; throw a little cheese in there and you've got a full meal (I brought a pound of cheese to gunsight). Last week AJScott brought those eggs in a carton for breakfast (heavy, but it was an easy approach), and by the time we got to our camp at 6000 ft they had almost exploded from the pressure. Last year a friend of mine ate a whole mountain house meal uncooked, and with nothing to drink. :mistat: