What do you cook in the mountians?

bstach

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My favorite freeze dried is Jane's Farm organic Chili Mac....it's vegetarian but great stats with protein/fat/carbs, and if you buy it direct, you can get the two serving packs in bulk direct from her website for a reasonable price. Still a bit spendy, but I think it's worth it....also, no dishes!

Ate two marmots about two weeks ago...skinned them up, cut off the back legs(they are mostly gut), and then cooked in aluminum foil with lemon and pepper...pretty tasty, although quite gamey. I have been trying to kill a grouse for weeks, probably lost 500 dollars in time running around after those sneeky fuckers. Can't wait for that though.

Anywho, I usually will go with a good quesadilla( tortilla, hotdogs, cheese, salsa, lemon), horsecock and pasta with cheese, cheese fondue(cheese, wine, bread)...and the biggest food trick is nutter butter bars....310 calories per bar....two boxes equals two days! Throw in a pack of tuna, and you have a good grade V lightwight calorie fest.

If you are cool throwing down for freeze dried, try Mary Jane's Farm Chili Mac.....change your life.....swear. They sell it at REI and Backcountry.com....but in the 1.5 servings pouches....not quite enough fuel for me....I got it direct in the 2 serving pouches for less than REI sells the 1.5. Check out the specs....double it for the 2 serving pouch

Specification Description

Net weight 4.9 ounces

Serving size 1 cup

Servings per container 1.5

Calories per serving 350

Calories from fat 80

Total fat per serving 9 gram

Saturated fat 5 grams

Cholesterol per serving 20 milligrams

Sodium 530 milligrams

Carbohydrates per serving 50 grams

Dietary fiber 8 grams

Sugar 2 grams

Protein 18 grams

A good friend of mine has access to a freeze-drier used for food science research. We like to make:

Chicken Tikka Masala

Green Chile Stew

Dahl

(can you tell we like Indian food?)

Schezuan Beef

all sorts of other stuff (ie: nearly anything).

Meals for two weigh barely 200-400 grams, you can eat it right out of the bag, and GOOD GOD does it taste divine!