Home Defense Firearm Suggestions?

Choada_Boy

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I vote a 12 gage shotgun. If you are going to shoot someone, you are not worried about the recoil. Pump for the sound. I would saw the barrel down to about 18 inches for ease of handling.

Unless you are a total noob at guns, just take the thing to Darrington and pull down any logging road and you can get all the practice you need. Saw it off short, and you will never have to learn to aim it anyhow. just pump, point, and release; a skill most guys master quickly.

Only in this country do people fear each other this much. PATHETIC.

Let's see: neighbor gets the shit beat out of him for no reason, neighbor wakes up and fights attacker out of house, multiple women raped during home invasions two blocks away. Plus, I don't really care what you think, dip shit.

I'm shocked, I've always heard Marcy was an excellent community.

red-nosed-pit-bull.jpg

Get some of these. You'll not only improve your street cred but you can also breed them for sporting pursuits.

I vote a 12 gage shotgun. If you are going to shoot someone, you are not worried about the recoil. Pump for the sound. I would saw the barrel down to about 18 inches for ease of handling.

Unless you are a total noob at guns, just take the thing to Darrington and pull down any logging road and you can get all the practice you need. Saw it off short, and you will never have to learn to aim it anyhow. just pump, point, and release; a skill most guys master quickly.

He's not a noob. Remember, he has extensive hunting experience. He gave it up when he was ten.

I vote a 12 gage shotgun. If you are going to shoot someone, you are not worried about the recoil.

His original question included the specification of a weapon his wife might be comfortable firing. Hence, the consideration of recoil.

I think there is a difference between "comfortable" and "afraid of". Comfortable comes after hundreds of rounds which, odds are, the wife won't do. I would say that as long as she is familiar with the gun, has shot it, and knows it won't buck like mule, a 12-ga. would be an ideal weapon.

I vote a 12 gage shotgun. If you are going to shoot someone, you are not worried about the recoil.

His original question included the specification of a weapon his wife might be comfortable firing. Hence, the consideration of recoil.

I think there is a difference between "comfortable" and "afraid of". Comfortable comes after hundreds of rounds which, odds are, the wife won't do. I would say that as long as she is familiar with the gun, has shot it, and knows it won't buck like mule, a 12-ga. would be an ideal weapon.

That is a big assumption. I would think any woman married to Choada would be very interested in learning how to kill a man.

12 guage with a pistol grip. Even aborigines who never heard a round chambered in their life will stop cold when you work the action on a shotgun. Alternate between slugs and shot. No need for aim--just point in the general direction. Won't blast the neighbors either and the blast itself should scare the bejesus out of whoever you use it against.

No need for aim--just point in the general direction.

This is one of the more ignorant statements I've seen, regarding shotguns. Even with a very open choke, shot patterns remain pretty tight at the distances at which you would encounter bad guys inside your house. You also advocate the use of slugs, which is good; except your statement regarding not aiming negates their effectiveness. The point is, if you're using that weapon, you INTEND TO KILL; do so effectively and efficiently, it could mean your life or that of a loved one.

There is a difference between "fear of recoil" when practicing, verses "are you worried about the recoil when someone had broken into your bedroom". The recoil may not be comfortable when you are standing on the logging road in Darrington blowing beer bottles into pieces, but I don't think the recoil will be worrysome when using it for protection.

skip the slugs, alternate between birdshot and buckshot. One requires only pointing, the other barely even requires pointing.

If you put birdshot in a shortbarrelled shotgun, it will hit everything in the general direction; whereas the buckshot will give some stopping power but still not require great skills at aiming.

This is a huge misconception, and completely false, as the testing done here demonstrates.

"Birdshot", as you call it, comes in many sizes. The testing done used #4 (what I use for pheasants), shot from a 19" barrel and had a shotspread of 3-1/2" (slightly larger than a tennis ball, I measured). 00 Buckshot tested had a shotspread of 2-1/2". Test distances were 12'.

Please refrain from giving bad advice, which may affect someone's personal safety.

OK, here is my data. In Snohomish in 1980 my father was gut-shot with a 30-06 in his garden one night while investigating a burglar. After lying for 13 days in the hospital we finally had to pull the plug and let him go.

This had a huge impact on my feelings of personal safety. After much thought I purchased a double-barreled shotgun and cut it down to I think 18 inches. Buddies and I went out and shot all kinds of rounds through it, blasting everything from beer bottles to road signs (27 years ago in Darrington, our ethics were a little lax). I admit that my data was not scientific, we kept greater data on the whisky we were drinking than we did on distance and spread. What I do know is that birdshot through a sawed-off will give you a larger pattern than anything else I know of; and buckshot will give you a decent pattern and stopping power. I used to keep one of each in my shotgun near the bed for protection.

About a year later I moved into a motorhome to live. The shotgun was far too cumbersome for the extremely tight quarters, so I bought a Saturday-night-special snub-nosed .38 and kept it under my pillow. I had no misconceptions that I could actually hit anything over a few yards away with the gun, but it was small, loud, and held enough bullets that I could keep shooting if I missed. I kept the gun under my pillow for more than a year.

I believe it was the 1983 Darrington BlueGrass Festival. I was on my traditional 3 day wine drunk with my motorhome parked in the festival parking area. On the Saturday morning I woke up, not knowing why. I looked over the chubby girl that I found next to me, looked toward the back of the motorhome, and saw a gun enter the back door. An 18 year old kid came in with a pistol and pointed it at my buddy who was in the back of the motorhome having relations with the kid’s girlfriend. It was about 5-6 in the morning, and I was waking from a complete wine stupor. As a pure reaction I reached under the pillow for the .38 with full intention of killing the kid without hesitation; only to realize that it was not there. A buddy had borrowed it to go “blasting” a couple days earlier, and failed to return it. Had the gun been there, I would have emptied it in the general direction of the kid with the full intention of killing the kid; without any hesitation. As my hand came up empty, the guy was pointing his gun at my buddy telling him to step outside so that he could kill him without anyone else getting hurt. My buddy’s only response was to stick his head under the blanket to hide.

The motorhome was a “cab-over” style and I was in the bunk above the driving compartment. I yelled at the kid to give me the gun. I climbed over the “lady” I was next to, and kind of jumped/fell/rolled down to the main floor. It was probably only about 10 feet between he and I, but it seemed like I had to walk about 100 yards; but I kept yelling to give me the gun and I walked right down the barrel as he was pointing it at me. I grabbed the gun and shoved him back through the door to the outside. I went to quickly unload the pistol, only to find out that it was unloaded the entire time. It was just some 18 year old punk trying to show off for his HO girlfriend who was with my buddy. I became so enraged that this punk-assed kid almost made me kill him over something so stupid, that I grabbed him and started beating his head against the motorhome. 5-6 a.m., still wine drunk as hell, beating a kids head against various motorhomes lecturing him on how ridiculous his decision was. I have never owned a firearm since.

Had I had that gun that morning, a stupid kid would be dead. I would have been legally justified. I would have probably been morally justified. But I know that I would not have ever recovered mentally from taking a kids life, so soon after I experienced the death of my father.

Now, nearly thirty years later, I want to get a gun just so my kids can become familiar with guns. Education rather than abstinence. I also look back at “the night” and reflect that, yes, I would have been justified in killing the kid, and I fully support folks who want to have a firearm for their protection. I personally choose not to. If I did, it would be a shotgun, loaded with birdshot and buckshot; and I would probably try to use it as a club before I ever shot it at someone. I would personally rather take a beating and live, then take anothers life. If I knew it was his life or mine, then I would take his: but you rarely really know that.

Again, my data is far from scientific, and I am probably talking out of my ass. But I have put a lot of thought into what I would keep for self protection if I wanted a firearm. Personally, I keep my ice tools nearby, and call that good enough.

Peace, respect, brotherhood.