Check Point at Olympic National Park!!

Spencer

On July 7th at 6:15 pm we came upon a Check Point with NPS Rangers, Forest Service and local Police we were asked for all our paperwork and Three Rangers walked the length of our SUV doing a visual search, asking if we were all seat belted, my kids sat silent, although it was clear all 5 of them were, he pointed out our insurance was going to expire in two weeks and told us to move on,they were physically searching two vehicles. I emailed Olympic Park head Ranger he said they stopped 160 vehicles that day and wrote 60 tickets, he thought it was productive.

This seems WRONG! I have always looked at NPS Rangers to be above this kind of thing ( When I see them on Rainier and they ask for my climbing permit and ask how we are doing and give us route information I am very happy they are there and I guess that is why this bothers me so much.

I would like other peoples thoughts.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a big difference between backcountry/climbing/interpretive rangers and the law enforcement rangers that you just encountered.

Sorry to hear about your experience; that's really shitty.

We increasingly are living in a police state.

That is really just not right. I am a pretty laid back person, but if I ever have that happen to me I could see getting mad and saying or doing something that would get me in trouble. I wonder if someone from the park could post here and try to explain the logic behind that. The national parks belong to us. :tdown:

Hey, as long as we ca$h in on...ahhh..., catch one bad guy I mean, no matter how many rights we violate, the end justifies the means.

Quoting Spencer: I emailed Olympic Park head Ranger he said they stopped 160 vehicles that day and wrote 60 tickets, he thought it was productive

Wonder how this fuck head would feel about a boycott? Every one who reads this should email him and ask him.

Never mind, there are too many "white wingers" on this board and the email thing would just back fire.

America, you get what you ask for.

I volunteered in ONP several summers while I was in college. I can see why it's upsetting, but I can also understand some of why they do it.

All of the full time, district/sub-district rangers are trained as Law Enforcement Rangers. They carry guns and have the authority to arrest people, etc. Most of the time the LE is their least favorite part of the job... however...

Climbers tend to be pretty conscientious about environment, etc, but there are plenty of jack*sses that go in there with bad beer, fireworks and a total disregard for where they are of the people around them. They start fires and chuck cans around and the rangers are expected to smile and ask them politely to not do these things. Often the offenders agree to stop, continue anyway, then cut the switchbacks, pick flowers and sh*t in the rivers on their way out.

Soon backcountry rangers will be demanding to see your LNT certification card w/picture ID. That is, IF the general public is still allowed in the backcountry! I'm not sure how they get away with what you described. Where's the probable cause, secure in their persons, etc? I once allowed the YIN "guard" stationed at Bird Creek Meadows to search my vehicle - after all, I was a "guest" on tribal lands. Never again. BTW, he completely missed the handgun in my pack.

When I was in college in Idaho I worked for this guy who had been a climbing ranger in the Tetons. He really loved that part of the job and he did spend most of his time making sure people were safe and had the right backcountry permits and getting involved in rescues.

At one point in order for him to continue his job his bosses told him he had to go to cop school and learn to pack heat. They wanted him to continue to do the job I described above, but the also wanted him to get behind the wheels of a cruiser and pull people over for speeding violations etc. He did go off to cop school somewhere in the SE part of the states and then got behind the wheels of a parks cop mobile one or two days a week. He said he tried to stick to handing out warnings for speeding violations, but he still hated that part of the job.

I should add that I was in school in the 80s and my friend was in the Tetons in the 70s, so getting parks people to be cops has been around for quite a while.

Edited by Feck

I would like add, I did email both Senators, Cantwell was just seen up at Camp Muir, and my congressman ( Jay Inslee), no response yet, I hope some of you do the same, all the information I gave is accurate to the minute. if not you may be next.......

Didn't the state police in oregon start doing check points looking for DUI a number of years back (late 80's or so)? If I remember correctly that it was found to be illegal to do so? Don't the police need probable cause to stop you in the first place? Maybe that was just a state thing. Either way sounds like BS to me.

• 2 weeks later...

Where is the probable cause? I could see if they were hunting down an escaped convict but that is about it. NPS cops are sometimes the worst Nazis out there. I have been in the Valley a number of times and have seen the Nazis all hassling people with little or no cause.

Just follow Jay-Z's advice:

Glove compartments locked

So's the trunk in the back

If you wanna look around

You gonna need a warrant for dat

Aren't you sharp as a tack

You some kind a lawyer

somebody important?

I ain't passed the bar

But I know a little bit

Enough you won't illegally

Search my shit.

I got 99 problems, but being a bitch ain't one.

Edited by dt_3pin

• 2 weeks later...