Bivy Sacks for Mtneering?

Bronco

2 black plastic garbage bags?

Other light weight options are siltarps and ponchos (wich double as rain-gear), both best below treeline or where you can set it up.

1)weight: below 1 lb or not worth it.- else bring a MegaMid

2)breathability: Get the hairy g-tex (Nexus), and get it at least 2/3 around your body.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by jhamaker:

2 black plastic garbage bags?

Other light weight options are siltarps and ponchos (wich double as rain-gear), both best below treeline or where you can set it up.

I've actually tried the plastic garbage bag thang. Condenses like hell.

And I used to use ponchos when I started backpacking years ago. Not bad for rain, but lousy for wind, and I can't imagine using them climbing.

For fair weather mountaineering antics, consider taking NO bivvy sac. If your sleeping bag gets wet from the dew overnight, it will still weigh less than the sleeping bag and bivvy sac, and you can dry it out very quickly by hanging it in the sun either in the morning before your late start or in the afternoon after you return from your summit climb. Should the forecast be incorrect, bring a couple of garbage bags or climb into your pack and put on your raincoat -- breathable or not, you will certainly survive one night this way and you can then high-tail it for home. In my view, the main drawback of this approach is being bitten by bugs, but they are usually relatively inactive at night. I also have a problem with mice sometimes.

quote:

Originally posted by mattp:

I also have a problem with mice sometimes.

Hell yes! You're supposed to leave the zippered bags unzipped a couple of inches for ventilation - but if you don't, the mice will just chew their way in anyway. First time I woke up with one of those little monsters in my hair, it scared the shit out of me. Now I'm used to having them run around in the bag. One move, a turn of the head, and they take off.

Valuable information, I know.