Best protien powder to stay lean but get strong?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like Designer Whey.

1 scoop:

Calories 90

Total fat 1.5g

Total carb 2g

Protein 18g

Mixes easy in milk or water with a spoon. I use 2.5 scoops after training.

Assuming you are talking about a protien powder for after training, stick with whey protien. If you plan to use it before or during your training, get some Soy protien powder.

I use the GNC wheybolic extreme 60. I have used it for about 2 months, and it is working good for me.

3 scoops

calories 270

total fat 1g

sat. fat 0.5g

trans fat 0g

total carb 6g

protein 60g

I split the serving between pre & post work out.

It seems to work good, over 2 months I have increased overall strength (every week) and notice looking leaner, but have gained about 4 pounds. I hit the gym every day, and hit a muscle group per workout for about 1 hour.

Ive been curious bout this stuff..>

http://www.accelerade.com/products/FAQs.aspx

Of coarse you already know this, but "lean and strong" comes first from burning more cals than you ingest - mainly from cardio training. Second from strength training including weights etc. Third from eating a sound healthy diet avoiding processed refined starchy sugary foods.

Supplements can help if you train long and hard enough to need them (key point), but theyre way down on the list really.

I use them on occassion but maily to recover faster so I can train harder - not so much to "put muscle on".

Mike...don't know if you've tried Myoplex, but it actually tastes pretty good. A bit higher on the carbs and spendy at ~ $2 per serving. I don't understand half of the ingredients, however, which is a bit disconcerting. It's loaded with vitamins as well....more of a meal replacement than pure protein powder.

I like this stuff, and the price is good and the flavors are good even in water.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html

BB.com has the best prices on the net and they ship quickly and have been awesome to deal with.

Optimum Nutrition is actually one of the better tasting powders. All the other brands listed above (ie. Designer Whey, which has aspartame and is over priced) are pretty much a waste of money. Another good brand is Bioplex. They are located in Bellingham and seem to make the "cleanest" product that I've found - meaning that it has no artificial crap added. As for prices, Seattle Super Supplements beats Bodybuilding.com; believe me, I've looked at this a lot.... You'll also be buying local.

Also, this is just my personal opinion, but I think that most of the meal replacement products out there are kinda a waste too. "Muscle Milk" is the only one that seems pretty solid, but it too is oober priced. You can make your own meal replacement with whole food ingredients, like peanut butter, coconut milk, bananas, oats etc..... I say that just because this whole thread comes down to protein "supplements", not solid nutrition, and making protein powder you main source of aminos is a BIG mistake. EAT MORE MEAT.

OK done..... :rawk:

Did you know none other than Donald Rumsfeld, a powerful Reagan supporter, was CEO of the company when it was approved? The FDA head (who disapproved of allowing aspartame on the market) was removed on the first day Reagan was in office. Aspartame was denied for 8 years prior. The new FDA head approved aspartame within the year, then quit immediately after and went to work for the sweetener industry. And then it was owned by Monsanto. Hmmm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspartame_controversy

use hammernutrition.com 's whey, it doesnt have all the extra crap and additives like all the other ones its unflavored so you can add it to anything plus it has 6 grams of l-glutamine per serving. Stay away from whey concentrate! This is flavorless!

Oh and all of Hammer's products are made for endurance athletes! and none contain any simple sugars all complex carbs.

Any one that has a flavor has alot of additives, and is usually only 60-80% pure in quality. This is like 98%, highest I have seen. If you want a 15% disc. let me know! My thing is if you are using this for the correct reasons in your training and health why use one with all the perseratives like ALL at GNC plus some have LOADS of simple sugars(CRACK).

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=REC&PROD.ID=4059&OMI=10105,10082,10047&AMI=10105&uir=product.category,REC,Proteins%20%26%20Recovery

Edited by NYC007

use hammernutrition.com 's whey, it doesnt have all the extra crap and additives like all the other ones its unflavored so you can add it to anything plus it has 6 grams of l-glutamine per serving. Stay away from whey concentrate! This is flavorless!

Oh and all of Hammer's products are made for endurance athletes! and none contain any simple sugars all complex carbs.

Any one that has a flavor has alot of additives, and is usually only 60-80% pure in quality. This is like 98%, highest I have seen. If you want a 15% disc. let me know! My thing is if you are using this for the correct reasons in your training and health why use one with all the perseratives like ALL at GNC plus some have LOADS of simple sugars(CRACK).

http://www.hammernutrition.com/za/HNT?PAGE=PRODUCT&CAT=REC&PROD.ID=4059&OMI=10105,10082,10047&AMI=10105&uir=product.category,REC,Proteins%20%26%20Recovery

Hammer makes great stuff :tup:

Hey Scott: your diet and exercise regiment will dictate whether or not you bulk up or stay lean... not the type of protein you are taking.

Hey Scott: your diet and exercise regiment will dictate whether or not you bulk up or stay lean... not the type of protein you are taking.

I may be looking at it all wrong, but regardless of how much exercise you do, you won't get any stronger unless your feeding your muscles the proper stuff (ie quality protien), right? So what I am looking for is a high quality protien source that fuels muscle growth/recovery, but won't add useless mass.

I guess I just equate most protien powders with huge weight lifters, who are super strong, but their added mass is counterprodutive to my goals (Alpental's Mighty Tooth!!!).

Hammer nutrition sounds great, thanks for the link. The no sugar thing is perfect; I always chuckle when I look at a protien bar/shake/powder and see that it has more grams of sugar than protien per serving. :crosseye:

$2 per serving...

It's all about MILK. $2 per gallon? w00t!

I drank a liter every day one summer I was biking every day. I was wicked strong.

EXACTLY! Milk is one of the most PERFECT sport nutrition drinks. Especially if you get 1% fat chocolate milk - its got near perfect ratios of carbs to protein to fats. Certainly beats the shit out of powerade.

Probably the most important thing I've learned about sports nutrition is that its all about ratios. You can't just go eat a shit ton of protein and expect to gain anything. You've got eat roughly four carb units per unit of protein.