Mad Rock Mountaineering Boots

thatcher

Anyone know anything about either of the mad rock mountaineering boots? How do they compare to sportiva trangos or glaciers, or other non-plastic boots.

I was looking at them in a shop and the worker said that they were great shoes and he uses them for ice climbing, and glacier slogs. They are pretty cheap ($200). So that just makes me wonder about their quality. Also before going to the shop I didn't know Mad Rock even made mountaineering boots.

I currently use glaciers, and am looking to upgrade a little. I need a full shank and front bail, which the Mad Rocks have. So that is why I am curious about their quality.

any thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a pair and I wore them a lot last year. From early July through the end of the summer I wore them on a lot. I brought them to Bolivia and wore them on some of the lower peaks. In the Cascades they worked really well when it wasn't too sloppy. They're light and cheap. In other words I like them a lot when the snow isn't too deep.

Jason

I had a pair of the mountains, (the blue ones) I bought athem at climb max, last year, used them once on grippy rock, they were like glue, but the soles disintegrated, I sent them back to Madrock and they treated me well, they said that there was a problem with the compound in production. I sent them back and they sent me a pair of the alpinist, (the red ones) which are identical in every way except they have a 5 mm closed cell insulation instead of 3 mm and so are a little warmer. I used them this winter about four times in snow and found them to be very light, very comfortable, stiff and warm. I used them this last weekend on trails and rock in torrential rain and they were comfortable and very waterproof. I have stood in water up to my ankles for minutes and have felt nothing trickle through.

I like them a lot. I think the downside of them is that they will be hard to have resoled, I may be wrong about that. The blue ones are less stiff.

My friends have a pair. The first guy used it a lot, on ice/snow etc and didn't have any complaints. Then he sold them to my friend and they work well except he slips sometimes on wet rock and semi-icy surface if that makes sense. Just worn down soles I think.