Rainier with 11 yr old?

Bug

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

making your daughter hate the outdoors by pushing her beyond her limits is probably not a good idea.

It is good for children to be challenged. I will never forget the time my father and I (as a 10 year old) did a 12 mile hike with less than a quart of water between us. Don't let your daughter grow up to be all show and no go.

Hey Bug

A few years back I did the SS of Hood with my buddy and his 9 year old son. He carried most his own gear and never complained. I carried a video camera and got a good portion of it on film. Every time I watch the video of my buddy hugging his son on the summit I get excited and hope one day my child will ask to do the same. His son still talks about the climb. They have switched to rock climbing since then. Last I heard, his son was climbing 5.10.

Whoever tells you not to do it, obviously doesn't have a child capable of doing it.

Hi

I would love to go with you guys. I am 15 years old but have the skills needed. I have a 70m double dry rope, 2 harness, lots of biners, cordellets etc.. I am picking up lots of pickets soon aswell. I am in good physical condition(I am an elite youth triathlete). I may be young however I am mature and responsible. I take my friends rock climbing and safety is always my top concern. You guys sound pretty cool. The imax got me pretty intrested in mountaineerin from rock climbing. The first time I was up the space needle I saw Rainier. Ever since I can't stop thinking about it. I have wanted to climb it for a long time.

Hope to hear from you!

(I went to a mountain school to learn to climb)

Well, keep me in the loop also. My sixteen year old daughter and I climbed Adams last year and this year she wanted to do Rainier. Last weekend we teamed up with my climbing partner and two of his friends and we attempted it via Camp Shurman.

Almost at the top of the Inter Glacier she declared she didn't like climbing mountains anymore. The rest of us stood there in shock of course not knowing what to say. I was scared I pushed her too hard and that this was going to be the end of her climbing. And then a sleepless night of tent shaking 75mph+ winds with dirt and grit everywhere didn't make me think we would ever go climbing again.

But, she was feeling better and a little more rested and ultimately came away wanting to keep climbing. Whew! That was close.

Keep me in the loop. Baker might be a good choice for next time.

• 2 weeks later...