Kids rock shoes

David_Parker

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

David,

I have had good luck at Second Bounce. Also, my daughter who is now 13 has been wearing rock shoes since she was five. Some of her old shoes I traded in, some I still have. I would be happy to give you a pair. The pair she wore when she was six are Boreal Ninjas, in need of a resole. Let me know if you are interested and I can mail them to you or we can hook up.

David,

I just resoled a pair of my four-year-old's outgrown canvas tennie runners. They climb great, are more comfortable than climbing shoes and are loads cheaper. I soled them with 5.10 aqua-dot. It's thinner and so doesn't compromise the feel as much and still gives the kid a little traction for running around in the dirt. You need to get a belt sander and sand the soles until all the old tread is gone too, to keep the sole from ending up too thick and to get maximun adhesion for the new sole. You should be able to get him outfitted for about $15. We just did a three pitch climb at Peshastin and they worked really great.

I dont have any kids but you can resole tennies with C4 or other climbing rubber. I have had a pair of Garmont Sticky Weekends with climbing rubber for a couple of years. I use them for gym climbing and easier stuff to keep the wear and tear off my regular rock shoes. Works great! I also get stronger trying to sport climb in them on TR. Plus on some crack climbs they are way more superior than rock shoes.

-Cpt

unless the kid climbs A LOT, consider renting shoes. when kids are growing fast, I've found this can be even cheaper than re-soling their old tennies. if the kid is climbing once a week or more, the resole route is definitely the way to go. The supply of rubber & glue in a single kit will probably last you to the teen years...

Hey Retro, does your 4 year old belay you when you lead? Or does he lead?

Seriously though, maybe I'll start a new thread about climbing with kids. Other than top roping, it can be tricky. For my first real rock climb with my kid, I tied him in on top rope about 3-4 ft. in front of me while my wife belayed. That way I was close by for moral support and technical help. My hands easily reached his feet. I also did a rapell with him dangling from a runner from my harness. He loved it.

I'd be curious to know some other climbing with kid techniques that work.