Soloing Rainier

suomi

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The easy routes on Rainier are just long hikes, until something goes wrong. This is kind of a "if you have to ask..." situation. Don't do it. Especially because you posted in the newbies forum.

That said, soloing any route on Baker is a way worse idea than soloing the DC. Just because, the DC is packed with people who might see you fall in a crevasse and might be able to rescue you. But don't go out there depending on this. Just don't go soloing on a volcano.

I don't really think there's anything wrong with going up to Muir and trying to hook up with a team. Just don't be the slow guy they end up complaining about.

ya at least on DC someone will see you fall in! goodluck :blush:

For a technical climb, Rainier is probably one of the least dangerous mountains in the state to solo. There will almost always be some overexperienced guide or other climber in the vicinity to haul you out of a crevasse if necessary.

Knowing how to read crevasses is important. I let my partner lead once on a failed attempt of the emmons this May. He punched through a snow bridge within 15 minutes.

I would get behind a rope team or two on a weekend when there are hordes of climbers and do it. It really is not too dangerous. There is very minimal rockfall on the DC, or at least there was on the last two times when I was there. However, maybe I am just getting a bit used to rocks whizzing by my head.

There will almost always be some overexperienced guide or other climber in the vicinity to haul you out of a crevasse if necessary.
That's a strange comment to make. Not so if the unroped crevasse fall killed you--in that case they'd probably leave you in there for while until they could organize a body recovery. Probably best to just stay out of the crevasses.

For a technical climb, Rainier is probably one of the least dangerous mountains in the state to solo. There will almost always be some overexperienced guide or other climber in the vicinity to haul you out of a crevasse if necessary.

Knowing how to read crevasses is important. I let my partner lead once on a failed attempt of the emmons this May. He punched through a snow bridge within 15 minutes.

I would get behind a rope team or two on a weekend when there are hordes of climbers and do it. It really is not too dangerous. There is very minimal rockfall on the DC, or at least there was on the last two times when I was there. However, maybe I am just getting a bit used to rocks whizzing by my head.

??

WTF

Terrible advice/beta!

2 weeks ago I shot the shit w/ one of the RNP Climbing Rangers and discussed the solo permit. He had just issued out a ticket to some lady who decided to solo herself and not gone through the permit process. When the Ranger approached her and asked for her name somewhere around 13,500', she gave him something like "Jane Smith" which he promptly radioed back in to learn that there were no solo permit recipients on the mountain under that name. Point is- don't decide to go climbing w/o a permit thinking noone will notice you- you'll actually stick out like a sore thumb amongst all the rope teams dotting the slopes.

Two weeks before that, I had a guy at Muir approach me at midnight and ask if he could join my rope team or have me cut off 10' of my rope for $12. He had on trail runners. Wtf!? Where do these people come from.

To receive a solo permit, you need to submit your request ~3 wks in advance with a detailed breakout of what you plan on doing: route, dates, bivvy sites. You also need to be able to give the Park adequate warm fuzzies that you know what you are doing and how you are going to deal with problems you have a strong likelihood of encountering up high (Example: A snow bridge you are crossing gives way. What now, solo climber?)

From reading this posting thread, I'd recommend a solo climb on Baker or try and team up with a competent group. DC is closed for the season anyway and for a new climber to the mountain the lead around and down to Emmons from Ingraham Flats can be tricky if he's not familar with where the route is leading him.

Just my two cents also..

Two weeks before that, I had a guy at Muir approach me at midnight and ask if he could join my rope team or have me cut off 10' of my rope for $12. He had on trail runners. Wtf!? Where do these people come from.

What was he planning to do with 10' of rope????? Wtf!? is right!

Hmm, right on man, I wanna solo Rainier so badly, I did the easton route solo in July and it was great, never felt lie that. Do rangers have a age requirement for soloing? Dont think they would be so happy to give me (18) a go for it. I was thinking if I were to do all the other volcanoes first, then apply for the permit I would have higher chances to get it. Guy, check out the Easton on Baker, its straight forward, however I did not pass anyone up or down from the summitt, it was slim, and this was right after july 4. So the DC route is closed now you say? Its not really closed or is it just not really climbable? I wanna try it in early november.

What was he planning to do with 10' of rope????? Wtf!? is right!

hang himself?

TOO FUNNY