Trout Creek.

Mtnclimber

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not true about handling the crowds, I have been there on days when there is 15+ at the crag, and it was no problem.

15 people is a crowd?

I don't think Bryan went to Ozone when he was here, and has been living in Montana and climbing there and in the Sawtooths for a few years......so figure that in eh?

i moved to OR two years ago. Central OR climbers seem to be so territorial over anything outside of Smith, be it TC or Widgi boulders, Sisters boulders, Tumalo Falls, etc. Trout Creek is pretty well known around here, and lots of PDXers have heard about it. I am not sure how i feel about posting directions and I don't think vast crowds will flock. Smith is too accessible, the weather is not the Utah desert weather, and the routes ratings are stiff, an hour hike weeds out a ton or people, not to mention not that many people in this sport haven area even have 4-6 # 1s or 2s on their rack. I've heard the Metolius crowd has tried to suppress several articles on Trout and it was inevitable that someone would eventually get the first article out there. I know we all like our secret stash spots and now that the word is out maybe it is time to start the discussion about how to keep the area viable if it does get more traffic (which it will)and focus less on trying to less to keep it a private club.

comments?

It's never felt like a private club to me and I've been out there dozens of times during the past 3 years. On the contrary, everyone seems to be really happy about the place and eager to talk about it. Hell, I've been to keggers down there! I don't understand the pseudo-secrecy. Either a crag is a secret or it's not. I was never told to keep my trap shut and always felt it weird to pretend that, now that I know about it, I need to make sure that others don't catch wind. Yes, the days of being out there for a week at a time by yourself are over. Oh well... It's one of the most beautiful places in Oregon, IMO, and if you seem like a nice person- I'll tell ya all about it.

I actually agree that once you find these places the peeps in Oregon are pretty friendly and more real than alot of other places. directions given can be pretty vague sometimes to newcomers. all in all it is way more chill of a scene around here than some other 8030?...zip codes

This place won't get overrun. No way. I mean look at Pete's!

As in Pete’s Pile? Pete’s “Pile” is a good name for that place.

I love Pete's, I always seem to have it to myself too, can't complain about that. Hey, good bumping into you and Crimper in the woods today! Looked like Jim was further out checking out the Cape Horn trail today. You might ask him about it. I think theres gonna be some routes down there on those lower cliffs at some point.

CH 4 is what that surveyor stake says at Ozone. "Mayhaps CH 4 = Cape Horn 4" ??

This place won't get overrun. No way. I mean look at Pete's!

As in Pete’s Pile? Pete’s “Pile” is a good name for that place.

I love Pete's, I always seem to have it to myself too, can't complain about that. Hey, good bumping into you and Crimper in the woods today! Looked like Jim was further out checking out the Cape Horn trail today. You might ask him about it. I think theres gonna be some routes down there on those lower cliffs at some point.

CH 4 is what that surveyor stake says at Ozone. "Mayhaps CH 4 = Cape Horn 4" ??

Very strange bumping into you.....no car and just you and the dogs.....very unexpected.....but, very glad to see you.....we did see Jim, he hung out with us for a while....

Very strange bumping into you.....no car and just you and the dogs.....very unexpected.....but, very glad to see you.....we did see Jim, he hung out with us for a while....

Ha ha! Well I did have the whole Gorge almost to myself till you folks cruised in! Surprised to see anyone myself.

It's just how I roll, some day I'm gonna be Cougar food for sure as I'm almost always alone. Wife was studying for a test so I hauled the pups out of the house to romp the woods this time.

I think of them as cougar appetizers.

Hank the Dog

Hank_the_dog.jpg

Sadie May the Trailer park Floozie

Sadie_May_the_Trailer_park_Floozie.jpg

Both were rescue dogs, Jack Russell Terrierors