Canada Fleeces Visitors

KaskadskyjKozak

So, I'm looking into visiting Banff and can't believe how much more expensive it is on all accounts as compared to US national parks. From the daily entry fee of about $18 for a family (for a US park like Yellowstone, you pay one fee of $20 good for a week), to the campgrounds. You even have to pay an extra fee (about $8 PER NIGHT) to light a campfire. WTF?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

why don't you visit mexico if you want cheap, crybaby

Last summer I went to Glacier NP AND Waterton Lakes. Glacier was much less expensive and JUST AS nicely run/maintained etc.

I guess it's just part of the Canadian mentality to squander money through big gov't and get no real extra ROI for that extra expense. :wave:

Last summer I went to Glacier NP AND Waterton Lakes. Glacier was much less expensive and JUST AS nicely run/maintained etc.

I guess it's just part of the Canadian mentality to squander money through big gov't and get no real extra ROI for that extra expense. :wave:

And I'm sorry, but forcing people to pay an extra $8 PER NIGHT to light a goddamn campfire is totally ridiculous.

Um, charging tourists high prices isn't squandering money. It's classic capitalism - setting the price as high as the market will bear :lmao: Funny to hear you whining about basic Adam Smith stuff like that. If you don't want to pay the fees don't go to Banff. The millions of other tourists that do want to go can pay.

Um, charging tourists high prices isn't squandering money. It's classic capitalism - setting the price as high as the market will bear :lmao: Funny to hear you whining about basic Adam Smith stuff like that. If you don't want to pay the fees don't go to Banff. The millions of other tourists that do want to go can pay.

It's fleecing, pure and simple. Some cuntry you havethere buddy.

Millions of visitors come from around the world to Yellowstone and we don't charge them those kind of prices. You suck. :ass:

So, I'm looking into visiting Banff and can't believe how much more expensive it is on all accounts as compared to US national parks. From the daily entry fee of about $18 for a family (for a US park like Yellowstone, you pay one fee of $20 good for a week), to the campgrounds. You even have to pay an extra fee (about $8 PER NIGHT) to light a campfire. WTF?

So, did you pay for the fire?

Can't afford it can you poor boy. That's what happens when your president wrecks your economy. A couple years ago this would have cost you about 50% less :lmao:
Generally, I would argue that our President doesn't have that much control over our economy (that Adam Smith stuff you referred to previously is a little closer to the mark). But it is possible that our President's choices have indeed, impacted our economy negatively. It would be interesting to hear from our economics pointy heads about this.

Can't afford it can you poor boy. That's what happens when your president wrecks your economy. A couple years ago this would have cost you about 50% less :lmao:

I can afford it. It's still fleecing. This is a national park, not a goddamn business. It's for all people to enjoy, and your Canuck citizens pay the same prices, do they not? You should be ashamed.

I remember a few months ago on this same b-board when people raised bloody hell that Rainier was raising their entrance fee. For $50 I get into any US national park for a year. You guys charge more than double for an annual pass. Pathetic.

Like Dru pointed out, 7+ plus years ago when our economy was on more solid footing the exchange rate was in the mid-60% range and the prices were more in line with U.S. prices. Now the exchange rate was 95% two weeks ago when I was up there. Canada shouldn't have to lower prices because our economy is a house of cards.

Like Dru pointed out, 7+ plus years ago when our economy was on more solid footing the exchange rate was in the mid-60% range and the prices were more in line with U.S. prices. Now the exchange rate was 95% two weeks ago when I was up there. Canada shouldn't have to lower prices because our economy is a house of cards.

I never said anything of the sort. But just look at the rates, man, they fleece, and worse they nickel and dime you to death - a typical strategy for big government - lots of little taxes, fees and surcharges that add up.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/tarifs_fees_E.asp?park=3

Charging $50 for a NW Forest Pass sounds like fleecing to me. In Canada we can go onto Crown land for free. :fahq: Whiner.

I pay $65 for a NPS and a forest pass together. You a-holes charge $130 for an annual pass alone.

AND if I want to light a fire, it's covered under my camping fee, not like you statists a-holes, who know damn well that people want to light a fire, but split the fee to make it look more "palatable" while you fleece them. :fahq:

And just a reminder your republican president has created pretty much the most deliberately inefficient, incredibly intrusive big government in history - and deliberately f#cked our park system at every turn.

our park system does a damn fine job, and charges reasonable rates for its services, and makes them accessible to the general public.

irrespective of who the president is

When billary is elected there will be more funding, but I doubt the fees will be increased - and definitely not to Canada's level.