Gaitor Repair

Poseur

I gumby'd my new crocs. I thought I remember a thread on how to repair a slice but my search turned up nothing. Anybody else have a propensity to front point their calf, how did you repair the GTX? Duct tape comes to mind, but I am very image concious and would like a more professional look with only a handsome sort of scar if possible.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Duct tape doesn't last, and leaves unsightly gummy adhesive residue. For more attractive looking repair, follow along:

Decide whether it is long enough that you need structural strength to hold it together. If so, go to step 1B

Step 1A: for small tears that aren't too ragged, simply apply some transparent tape to one side of the tear to join the edges (Scotch brand works fine for this).

Step 1B: For tears that need structural reinforcement or are too ragged to join cleanly with just a hunk of transparent tape, use the Gore-tex branded repair patches. These have a pretty sturdy adhesive.

Step 2: apply a bead of Aquaseal (made by McNett) to the tear itself. This stuff is made to repair wetsuits, so it is quite durable. As an alternate, you can use SeamGrip made by the same folks, which is the same composition but thinned down. It may not stay put as well as a result, so might require more applications to get enough to be strong enough to hold the fabric together.

Step 3: remove the transparent tape after the Aquaseal has cured.

Notes:

1) Masking or duct tape could be used as your temporary tape instead, but you risk leaving white adhesive behind when you remove the tape.

2) If you needed to use the Gore-tex branded repair tape, to really ensure adhesion you could press firmly on the edges of the tape with a warm iron to help the adhesive really penetrate. Or, you could run some SeamGrip along the edges of the patch. Also, even though you used the repair tape, you can make it stronger by either applying Aquaseal to the opposite side of the tear, or another piece of Gore-tex repair tape (ends up as a less flexible piece of fabric).

3) Since the transparent tape is largely behaving as a dam for the Aquaseal, you can choose whether to have the Aquaseal applied to the outside of the garment or the inside. If outside, you are sure that all the frayed fabric edges are anchored down (the transparent tape would have initially been applied to the inside). For an even more invisible repair, which works best with clean slices that can be joined easily, attach the transparent tape to the outside and the Aquaseal to the inside. Be observant of how smooth the Aquaseal lays down, since this repair may be resting against your skin.

Clean the material inside and out. put seam grip on both the inside and out. Put duct tape over the inside section, while the seam grip is wet.

It will last a long ass time. I have a pair that is older than dirt and with a few of these repairs....they have not peeled at all.

If you have access to a sewing machine or some one who sews, things get a lot easier. I just finished repairing my son in law's brand new gaitors (frontpointed them the second time he had them on). A few passes with a zig zag stitch of matching thread on the tear, seam sealer on the inside and they're good as new.

I learned to sew in the army (parachute rigger) and it's been a real handy skill over the years to be able to modify and repair mountaineering and backpacking gear. Good luck with your repair.