Feels like a knife in my back

So last Monday while visiting family in Chicago, I figured I had to take advantage of living in high altitude and going down to 300 feet elevation. So I went jogging, which is not out of the ordinary for me.

However about two houses down I landed with my left foot and felt a pop in the middle of my back. The muscles in that area started tensing and it hurt for the rest of the day. I know that playing with my 2-year-old niece probably didn't help it and the next morning when I went to shut off the alarm clock, my entire back stiffened up.

It's six days later and it still feels like I have a knife embedded in there to the left of my spine and above where your lats meet your lower back. I've been stretching quite a bit and yes, slowly I'm having less pain and more movement.

The odd thing is when I get on my climbing wall, it doesn't hurt doing campusing, but more if I twist my hips. The not being active is absolutely killing me. I've downgraded weekend plans from a 15-mile, 2-peak backpacking trip, to the Kelso Ridge on Torreys, to me typing this on the computer today.

Is this just me getting older and needing more time to heal or what? I'm trying to see a chiropractor on Monday.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this just me getting older and needing more time to heal or what? I'm trying to see a chiropractor on Monday.

I'd say no, its not you just getting older. Something is wrong. I know the felling. I've had back problems for 8 years. Had surgery 2 months ago. Not saying we are in the same boat but I would definatly have someone look at it come Monday. Personaly I'd see my massage therapist before my chiro (I have both on speed dial). Nothing wrong with either choice.....thats just how I would approach it.

I'd see the chiro 1st because they can diagnose you, something massage practitioners cannot do. As for Tx if it isn't something "bad", it takes a while before the inflammation is going to subside, and yeah low back pain episodes can feel like you're literally going to die and take a week or two to calm down. If you don't get Tx it may go away completely, but it is guaranteed to come back. You can call me if you want some advice (pm me for my #)

Is this just me getting older and needing more time to heal or what?

NO way. It's not an age thing. The worst pain I've ever imagined was when I was (young and invincible) in my early 20's. Worse than when I fell off the roof and landed face first onto a metal table. All that did was slam my bone right through my face so it was sticking straight out 2". I put a bandaid on it after I regained consciousness (bro says I was out for @2-3 min) and went right back up on the roof to finish roofing before it rained (it was only a garage too). Had quite a bit of blood drip underneath and land on my shirt of course. Probably looked like quite the mess when I finally got to the hospital like 3 hours of hard labor later (if you've ever roofed a house you'll know what I'm talkin about).

No kidding. Back was so much worse. Now I'm 52 and thanks to Chrio and exercises, pain free and pretty much have been for at least 10 years.

I'm trying to see a chiropractor on Monday.

Good call. BTW, I had to learn that chiros can help the hard way, my wife drove me to one after I couldn't take any more back pain or even get out of bed. She had to put my socks on as well - I couldn't bend at all. I did learn over the years that not all Chiros are created equally, and in fact when my back does go out, there is a single very specific motion that will get it back to some semblance of normalcy.

I'd listen to Layton as he recently graduated. Too bad you live in Colo.

Good luck dude!

I'd see the chiro 1st because they can diagnose you, something massage practitioners cannot do.

I am curious about this...

Isn't a diagnosis the result of looking at signs and symptoms that the pt brings to you and then pronouncing what you see as wrong? If so, and the pt is suffering from a pulled muscle (or whatever the medical term would be for that), then why couldn't a LMT "diagnose" the pt?

Just curious how this all works...

I had the BEST chiropractor ever, but she moved away. SHE was the best because she used technique instead of brut force, and lots of messaging the muscles. If it would not move, or pop, then she would not force it. Now I hate going to chiropractors. They all just seem to want to make the bones go pop, and then wrench on the neck and collect the co-pay and get what they can from the insurance company.

No use drinking 20/20 after you had a 1991 CA Cap.

Im sure Layton can give you a longer awnser, but by law, only doctors can diagnose. A chiropractor is a doctor. A LMP is not. Plain and simple.

I wonder what is more important, a legal diagnosis or an accurate one. My guess is that a person who specializes in and has been trained in an area of the body is the one most capable of giving a diagnosis that will help a person heal.

Is a "doctor" of Osteopathy able to give a legal diagnosis? (I assume the legal thing is to satisfy insurance requirements, yes?)

Yes, an osteopath can diagnose. And yes, you have to go through medical training to be a doctor, kevbone. Medical Doctors go to medical school, osteopaths go to osteopathic school, chiropractors go to chiropractic school, eye doctors go to ophthalmic school (i think), dentists go to dental school etc etc etc. And archenemy is correct. You will get a good diagnosis seeing an osteopath, a doctor of physical therapy (i think they can legally diagnose in some states), or a chiropractor.

I would see a chiropractor for garden variety muscluoskeletal stuff - even up to mild-moderate neurological damage -just like I'd see the family doc for garden variety colds and prescriptions (like hypertension or high cholesterol). I'd see an osteopath if there was major trauma. I'd see a PT for rehab from major trauma. Just the way I'd go about it. And sirwoofalot comment unfortunately rings true, just like I feel what happens when I used to go to my medical doc for my musculoskeletal complaints.

We already had this discussion, but I can't remember what the thread was called.

I also looked up the wiki on D.O. and Chiropractic to try to get a better understanding of the difference between the two--you may find it helpful as well.

I have a lot of muscle/skeletal issues and I have been trying to learn what would be the most helpful way to start addressing them. These discussion have all been a great education!

So, a chiropractor is a doctor? Can they prescribe medication?

Yes, but they do not prescribe medication...it kinda goes against their philosophy of healing in this pill crazy quick fix society. Plus it makes a clear distinction between MDs and DCs.

We already had this discussion, but I can't remember what the thread was called.

I also looked up the wiki on D.O. and Chiropractic to try to get a better understanding of the difference between the two--you may find it helpful as well.

I have a lot of muscle/skeletal issues and I have been trying to learn what would be the most helpful way to start addressing them. These discussion have all been a great education!

I am not sure what your issues are but i can tell you that seeing a massage theripist every other week has changed my life. She is toatlly amazing and does very deep tissue work. She is quick to sugest someone see a doc or a chiropractor if she comes across something she finds concerning. i have scoliosis and some major scar tissue in my back and Pamula has made thos things non issues for me. I get to see her tomorrow and it has been a month becuase she was at the country fair and i missed an apointment. I am totally thrilled to see her. If i could get 2 hours tomorrow i totally would. the more i reead the more i think seeing a chiropractor may help with my tootsies. body work is becomming more and more important to me.

I have grown an inch since i started seeing my massage lady. she has managed to take a lot of the curve out of my back :)

Kev, next time you see Jim ask him about chiropractic and Layton in particular. Esp, the miracle Layton worked with his ribs making them pain free.

This came up when Jim was recommending Larry go to a chiropractor for his broken ribs. I was all like WTF? Broken ribs....get a beer, kick back and brace for the story.