McLaughlin Canyon: fire update

Once again I feel compelled to share some bad news from the Okanogan. McLaughlin canyon was hit by the front of the Tunk Grade fire. Fanned by high winds as it raced across super heated, dry sage brush, the temperatures most have been enormous when the flames reach the mouth of the canyon. Here the effect must have been similar to a blow torch: 100% fatality occurred to those beautiful woods that covered the canyon bottom. Indeed, no needles remain, in fact the trees and bushes high on the ledges were incinerated.

The Wall of Cracks and the Circuit fared a little better. Areas that had seen some controlled burning in past years allowed a few trees to withstand the horrific flame front. The service berries, sage and other brush/bushes are ashes on the blacken ground.

On a positive note the rocks, especially the boulders, appear unaffected by the inferno. I might add that the ticks, poison ivy, and rattlesnakes seemed to have been nuked into extinction.

The grasses will be back next spring. In a few years the service berries will bloom again. It is sad to accept that we have lost the trees, especially the beautiful woods on the canyon bottom, for a few lifetimes.

Such is the nature of the earth’s cycles.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG, that sucks so bad.

I had hoped that the old growth P Pines would survive this. Such a shame.

On a side note, past controlled burning experience up there would lead me to believe that the poison ivy will be back in force come spring time, it does well being burnt apparently.

Got any pix of the circuit in current state?

And any chance they didn't tie in any cliffbands with retardant?

Thanks for the update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...