Top Posters In This Topic

...And what about turducken?

DUDE anyone can make that.

kill a turky (wild ones are yummu) clean it

kill a duck clean it and shove it inside the turky

kill a chicken clean it and shove it inside the duck that is in the turky

bake for a really long time!!!

YUM

It's significantly more efficient, both in terms of energy/ecological footprint, and in terms of person-hours, to grow vegetables and raise livestock in centralised operations than it is to distribute them to the point where everyone has to hunt and gather.

it's also gross

It's significantly more efficient, both in terms of energy/ecological footprint, and in terms of person-hours, to grow vegetables and raise livestock in centralised operations than it is to distribute them to the point where everyone has to hunt and gather.

it's also gross

Look - ALL YOU HAVE TO DO is drive to the store. It's all right there. No hunting, no gathering, no footprints. It's easy.

I've eaten a guinea pig, too.

I've eaten kangaroo(in Australia.) A bit on the chewy, gamey side, mate. :noway:

My granddad used to take my brothers deer hunting(again with the brothers getting to do all the fun stuff!). The meat would get ground into "hamburger" and I hated it(not sure if it was the thought or the taste--I just could not enjoy it.) My mom would have to show me one of those styrofoam trays from store-bought meat to convince me that the deerburger was hamburger. Eventually I caught on to this ruse--"mom, why is the styrofoam always so clean if meat just came off it??" She had been hiding the same tray in the cupboard to show me each time. Duh.

No wonder I don't miss meat now. That was too weird.

you should try rocky mountain oysters

Testical Festival

I don't know about livestock, but growing your own veggies is WAY more efficient than getting them from agribusiness, and the veggies are far more nutritious if you use sound organic practices. I grow them on my parking strip on a small city lot, using homemade compost and home mixed organic fertilizer from bulk materials purchased once a year on the way to a climb. I just walk out of my front door and harvest. I gather about half the seeds I need from my plants.

No pesticides or oil based fertilizers. Total recycling. It doesn't get more efficient than that.

Edited by tvashtarkatena

Just to insure that I am even less welcome in Phinney....

Proc Nutr Soc. 2002 Feb;61(1):19-24.Click here to read Links

Nutritional quality of organic food: shades of grey or shades of green?

Williams CM.

High Sinclair Unit of Human Nutrition, School of Human Nutrition, School of Food Biosciences, University of Reading, UK. c.m.williams@reading.ac.uk

Consumer concern regarding possible adverse health effects of foods produced using intensive farming methods has led to considerable interest in the health benefits of organically-produced crops and animal products. There appears to be widespread perception amongst consumers that such methods result in foods of higher nutritional quality. The present review concludes that evidence that can support or refute such perception is not available in the scientific literature. A limited number of studies have compared the nutrient compositions of organically- and conventionally-produced crops, with a very small number of studies that have compared animal products (meat, milk and dairy products) produced under the two agricultural systems. Very few compositional differences have been reported, although there are reasonably consistent findings for higher nitrate and lower vitamin C contents of conventionally-produced vegetables, particularly leafy vegetables. Data concerning possible impacts on animal and human health of diets comprising organic or conventional produce are extremely sparse. Data from controlled studies in animal models, particularly within single species, are limited or poorly designed, and findings from these studies provide conflicting conclusions. There are no reports in the literature of controlled intervention studies in human subjects. Comparison of health outcomes in populations that habitually consume organically- or conventionally-produced foods are flawed by the large number of confounding factors that might contribute to any differences reported. If consumer perceptions regarding potential health benefits of organic foods are to be supported, more research of better quality is needed than that which is currently available.

Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(1):23-56.Click here to read Links

Organic food: buying more safety or just peace of mind? A critical review of the literature.

Magkos F, Arvaniti F, Zampelas A.

Laboratory of Nutrition and Clinical Dietetics, Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, Harokopio University, 70 El. Venizelou Ave, Kallithea, Athens, 176 71, Greece.

Consumer concern over the quality and safety of conventional food has intensified in recent years, and primarily drives the increasing demand for organically grown food, which is perceived as healthier and safer. Relevant scientific evidence, however, is scarce, while anecdotal reports abound. Although there is an urgent need for information related to health benefits and/or hazards of food products of both origins, generalized conclusions remain tentative in the absence of adequate comparative data. Organic fruits and vegetables can be expected to contain fewer agrochemical residues than conventionally grown alternatives; yet, the significance of this difference is questionable, inasmuch as actual levels of contamination in both types of food are generally well below acceptable limits. Also, some leafy, root, and tuber organic vegetables appear to have lower nitrate content compared with conventional ones, but whether or not dietary nitrate indeed constitutes a threat to human health is a matter of debate. On the other hand, no differences can be identified for environmental contaminants (e.g. cadmium and other heavy metals), which are likely to be present in food from both origins. With respect to other food hazards, such as endogenous plant toxins, biological pesticides and pathogenic microorganisms, available evidence is extremely limited preventing generalized statements. Also, results for mycotoxin contamination in cereal crops are variable and inconclusive; hence, no clear picture emerges. It is difficult, therefore, to weigh the risks, but what should be made clear is that 'organic' does not automatically equal 'safe.' Additional studies in this area of research are warranted. At our present state of knowledge, other factors rather than safety aspects seem to speak in favor of organic food.

PMID: 16403682 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I don't know about livestock, but growing your own veggies is WAY more efficient than getting them from agribusiness, and the veggies are far more nutritious if you use sound organic practices. I grow them on my parking strip on a small city lot, using homemade compost and home mixed organic fertilizer from bulk materials purchased once a year on the way to a climb. I just walk out of my front door and harvest. I gather about half the seeds I need from my plants.

No pesticides or oil based fertilizers. Total recycling. It doesn't get more efficient than that.

Quick - make a spreadsheet with all the vegetable products you consume in a year and tell me what % of them you grew yourself. How much of the bread you ate came from your own hand-raised wheat? How much coffee did you shade-grow?

You also won't change anyone's mind about not being able to afford meat...which is as cheap as dirt.

You hunt because you want to, not for economic reasons. Which is fine...but your trying to bullshit us about your 'rural poverty/hunter gatherer' upbringing is a bit hard to swallow.

Some meat is cheap as shit, some isn't. Free range grass fed beef at PCC or Whole Foods is not cheap as shit. The stuff from safeway or QFC can be cheaper, but it can also be full of roids and who knows what else.

I had a roommate in college that ate squirrel he hunted in a park near campus with his .22 (this was in a small college town in Oregon). The cost was minimal (he walked there - didn't have a car), he put the thing in a crocpot with potatos and carrots (back then a 25lb bag of potatos was like three bucks or something). The dude didn't do this because he liked hunting, I'm sure he would much rather have been eating beef from the store, but he didn't have that much money; what little he had went to books.

I slaughtered a rooster once. It didn't want to die. Killing it felt wrong.

:noway: :noway: :noway:

:anger:

Next time trust your instincts, buddy. :tdown::anger:

How does one grow tofurkey? Maybe the rooster can give me some tips?

It seems to grow in the deli cooler at the local organic store. Endless supply. Why buy anything else? :)

Don't buy that "Quorn" stuff though- there's something wrong with it. :tdown:

...And what about turducken?

DUDE anyone can make that.

kill a turky (wild ones are yummu) clean it

kill a duck clean it and shove it inside the turky

kill a chicken clean it and shove it inside the duck that is in the turky

bake for a really long time!!!

YUM

Miss Muffy Sprayer Lady- You're mistaken- there is NO chicken in that recipe whatsoever! NONE!

Got it? :anger::tdown: