Eating meat found to be environmentally destructiv

billcoe

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like most things done to support a global population of this proportion has some sort of detrimental impact. We very well could be fucked.

This should be in the "State the obvious" thread. Here, we are talking about lessening our impact.

You sure about that?

Think I'll grab a nice, juicy burger! Yum!

who the fuck eats 2.2 lbs of beef at one sitting?

I realize they call it a "single purchase", but that is stupid. A single purchase is however much meat I buy at once, right?

Those crazy japanese.

Being Japanese - in fact, being pretty much anywhere on Earth outside the United States - they would have conducted all their research in metric. So they would have used a kilogram of beef as their basic working unit. When that story gets printed in the United States, they have to translate "common sense" units into "U.S." units, hence the 2.2 pounds.

This doesn't even mention the other factor - how much water is wasted on irrigation to grow grain for the sole purpose of feeding livestock for meat production. And don't forget the chopping of millions of acres of rainforest so McDonalds can import cheap frozen beef... Unfortunately, there are many reasons why eating meat is terrible for the environment...

I read once that it takes approximately 10 kilos of grain to produce 1 kilo of beef (or 22 pounds of grain to produce the aforementioned 2.2 pounds of beef, if you prefer). And human metabolism is such that it takes about 10 kilos of beef to produce 1 kilo of human. So it takes 100 kilos of grain to produce enough meat to produce 1 kilo of human.

If that 10:1 figure is accurate, we could feed ten times as many humans by simply feeding them 10 kilos of grain, instead of first feeding the grain to cows and then eating the cows. The multiples of waste - energy, water, greenhouse emmissions, pesticides, fertilizers, hormones, antibiotics... - are huge.

I'll eat the occasional steak or any whole-muscle beef, but until Canada and the United States start taking that nasty little prion more seriously, I won't eat any ground beef - especially since 35% of samples tested had brain/spinal tissues included in the mix. skull

Whirlwind has some great points too. Other than the "old" carbon used by trucks that ship beef to market, we're talking "new" so-called greenhouse gasses, ie: methane. The fact that this is not mentioned in the "study" wreaks of an agenda and invalidates the work, IMO.

funny they dont mention how much carbon is actually pulled out of the of gasesus form there by creating the grass and meat.

the reason cars are worse dispite the fact that they emit less carbon is, the carbon used to fuel cars is from oil which takes millions of years to store the carbon, where as the grasses grown as well as the animals them selfs pull carbon from the air and make it a solid even if it is for a short time, it is a cycle that renews it self within a few yrs

carbon in the air ===> grasses==> animals==> carbon into the air is a carbon cycle that take a short time to renew.

"solid carbon (oil)==> gas or fuel==> carbon in the air

but will be millions of years before new oil is formed.

why is this a problem, well we emit billions of tons of the stuff, and it cant reform fast enough so it builds up that build up is a big problem. the goal shouldn't be to eliminate released carbon but to control it to the point that its able to cycle, back, therefore eliminateing the release of excess carbon and prventing a build up, right now that is the best we can hopefore.

if we eat less meat the farmers will grown less cows, less grasses will be grown for the cows,the farmers in need of money will divide up and sell the land, the land will be developed into a suppermall. yeah thats what we need more fricking supermalls.

This might make sense if they weren't chopping down and **burning** entire forests of carbon absorbing trees to grow the cattle feed.