[TR] Olympus - booze, bikinis, and boomboxes 7/4/2007

Gary_Yngve

Trip: Olympus - booze, bikinis, and boomboxes

Date: 7/4/2007

Trip Report:

Often when I go on trips, I'm trying to stretch as much mileage or climbing as I can into as little time as possible. Not so over July 4th, as I was anxious to end a long drought of spending multiple nights in the backcountry (cragging is fun, but it's just not the same as being back there). The change of pace was very refreshing.

Eleven of us spent five days doing Olympus, which consisted of two "block-party" camps at Nine Mile on the way in and out, and a high camp at Glacier Meadows. The Nine Mile camp was really sweet, especially with the large sandbar in the river. The sandbar was large enough for all of us to partake in a soul-uncaged football match.

The rainforest was rather dull on the way in, all dry, but on the way out, it was misty and dew-covered -- it really came to life.

qzabstract.jpg

qzavylily.jpg

qzbigtrees.jpg

qzdawn.jpg

qzelklake.jpg

qzforest1.jpg

qzforest2.jpg

qzforest3.jpg

qzforest4.jpg

qzforest5.jpg

qzforest6.jpg

qzforest7.jpg

qzgilbert.jpg

qzhohriver.jpg

qzjulie.jpg

qzline.jpg

qzmeadows.jpg

qzolympus2.jpg

qzolympus.jpg

qzparty.jpg

qzpeakcurves.jpg

qzsummitblock.jpg

qzsunrise.jpg

qzwet.jpg

Gear Notes:

Some folks were really impressed by the orikaso folding bowls. Will be interesting to see how they bowls age.

Approach Notes:

Some juvie trailworkers at Nine-Mile Camp ripped us off of two Ipods (really sucked... apparently they didn't want the battery-powered speakers because they wouldn't fit up their asses) and five tallboys (they barely dented our stash) while we slept after our first round of partying. Word from the ranger is the same group stole someone's wallet at another camp the following night.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool pics. We are heading in for a 5 day trip ourselfs. Hope the rain stops in time. I will leave the ipod in the car I guess. How are the conditions up top? I am planning on taking minimal rock gear and a 50M rope to rap off... is this sufficient?

single 50m rope works for rap. we went up the 5.3-5.4 route, like the N arete or something. i think i placed a red tcu 1/2 the way up the pitch and an orange tcu 3/4 the way up. obviously conditions will be more melted out than when we were there, but they should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...