Ken Nichols convicted and fined for bolt chopping

billcoe

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My avatar picture is me and my screen name has been my nickname for a lot longer than having any regular interaction with a computer.

Me too.....acutally pink (andrew) named me kevbone 15 years ago and most of my friends call me that.

...and here i thought it was "idiot pig-humper" all along!! silly me....

Fairweather, actually it has happened at least twice that I've complained about your attempting to intimidate me by posting my real name yet hiding yours, and you felt compelled to acknowledge who you were. In one of those incidents, you posted something to the effect of: I am ___________, and I live in ___________ - are you happy now? I can't find it with the search function. Did you ask a moderator to delete it?

Geeez, Matt, get a grip. No I never asked a moderator to delete "it" - because there is no "it". You repeatedly fail to make your points via search engine because your memories are ghosts created by your own smug sense of self-assuredness and desparate need to be correct. Many people here know me by name - it's no big deal. But please refrain from making shit up just to satisfy your ego.

Brian, the incident I mention was, if I am not mistaken, the second time you "quit the board forever." I bet some others around here remember it though they may not want to step into this pile of pooh. I tell you what: I feel so bad about this I'll stay home from climbing and spend all weekend scrolling through old threads looking for it.

My point remains the same. I believe you would conduct yourself differently if you used your real name instead of a screen name, and you have not credibly argued otherwise.

My point remains the same. I believe you would conduct yourself differently if you used your real name instead of a screen name, and you have not credibly argued otherwise.

"Conduct" myself? What a condescending thing to say. I think I already stated my belief that anonymity enhances these little debates we have. Strange you only call out the 'conduct' of those with whom you disagree politically or philosophically. Edited by Fairweather

Eric and Don, love your energy. I'm a huge fan. Your posts have some value and even get lots of others to share their opinions. Looks like you're getting lots of hits too. Just one question, the bolt on the climb near carnival crack in the Icicle, was it a rap deal or was it placed on lead?

Oh, and could you ask Pope and Mr. Raindog to please not chop the bolt on SEWS. I know it's a chicken shit bolt, tried to place it in a spot you wouldn't see.

Hi Pro Mountain Man. Somewhere in this thread I explained how that bolt went in. Basically I drilled the hole on lead for a 3/8" bolt but was out of Rawls. This was I think the third hole I ever drilled (and the last). Anyway, the Fixe bolt (advertised as 3/8") wouldn't fit. I knew the hole was fine but somehow the Fixe was undersized. At that point Scotty and I borrowed a Hilte from Jim Phillips and decided (with this kind of drilling power) to build an anchor with two 1/2" bolts on top and also enlarge the hole I drilled on lead, but this time on rappel.

I didn't like the idea of drilling on rappel, but we did like the idea of making that bolt REALLY bomber, once we realized how important it was to the route. I didn't have a 1/2" bit for the hand drill and I didn't feel like I could free climb with the Hilte. We could have abandoned the route, but we had already drilled by hand on lead. Scotty was pretty excited about the route and so we agreed to use the Hilte to get in a 1/2" bolt. I can't remember if I drilled it or Scotty or it might have been Dave Bale who came by to give advice. The whole thing felt kind of dirty, even though I liked the result. I haven't drilled since.

Mark McKillop (Jizzy) continues to try to bring a personal attack while posting under an anonymous avatar and declining to substantibely discuss whatever his issue may be.

The above is from a thread where MattP decided to "out" me and my avatar, without my permission, because he knew better.

Also, previous to this,when I was posting anonymously, I recieved calls at my house on several evenings to discuss BS from this site. Creepy. The calls were from a well known moderator (who is not my friend Feck). If people want to remain anonymous so they don't recieve late night calls from creep moderators, they should be allowed. And moderators should leave people alone. This site, and this site alone, is the proper place to discuss CC.

Jeez, Mark. That was three years ago. I felt then, and I feel now, that where somebody is attacking someone else by name and getting personal about it, the person attacked probably has a right to name their accuser and demand they take responsibility for their words. You may disagree, as you have stated here. Feel free to bring it up next time we meet and I promise I won't intimidate you.

By the way, I was looking for the post Mark complained about and guess what I found? A 2005 thread where FAIRWEATHER POSTED HIS FULL NAME in an effort to get me to stop complaining about his taking advantage of his anonymity. I bet he doesn't want me to post the link to that thread, though, as it doesn't come up with a simple search of his name. In another discussion, about a month ago, Fairweather denied he'd ever suggested the use of a nuclear weapon in Afghanistan and I easily found the statement he denied.

We're all capable of having an imperfect memory of some old spray war, but Mr. F has no right to claim superior memory or that he more accurately portrays these things than anyone else around here.

As far as I'm concerned, we've beat this dead horse. I've argued that certain people who post anonymously abuse that privilege, and that they wouldn't be as rude or crude if they posted under their real names. Some posters deny this.

Jeez, Mark. That was three years ago. I felt then, and I feel now, that where somebody is attacking someone else by name and getting personal about it, the person attacked probably has a right to name their accuser and demand they take responsibility for their words. You may disagree, as you have stated here. Feel free to bring it up next time we meet and I promise I won't intimidate you.

By the way, I was looking for the post Mark complained about and guess what I found? A 2005 thread where FAIRWEATHER POSTED HIS FULL NAME in an effort to get me to stop complaining about his taking advantage of his anonymity. I bet he doesn't want me to post the link to that thread, though, as it doesn't come up with a simple search of his name. In another discussion, about a month ago, Fairweather denied he'd ever suggested the use of a nuclear weapon in Afghanistan and I easily found the statement he denied.

We're all capable of having an imperfect memory of some old spray war, but Mr. F has no right to claim superior memory or that he more accurately portrays these things than anyone else around here.

As far as I'm concerned, we've beat this dead horse. I've argued that certain people who post anonymously abuse that privilege, and that they wouldn't be as rude or crude if they posted under their real names. Some posters deny this.

Jeez is right.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nit-pick

All I know is that I don't think I ever want to post my real name on here - especially after this thread full of petty animosity. Of course, if I ever do post my real name I'm sure someone will dig up this statement in a "look you're contradicting yourself" post.

Wasn't this thread originally about bolting ethics? Talk about thread drift. Sure, bolting has been debated on cc.com ad infinitum but when people post their perspective separately from their ego it actually is interesting reading that makes me question my own ethics and point of view.

Oh well, another potentially substantive discussion squelched by ego and petty nit-picking. I guess I should expect nothing less from cc.com (or the internet in general). Thanks for the entertainment though!

I don't think I ever want to post my real name on here

That's your choice, Mr. Shoes, but from my own perspective I can tell you that I've never regretted posting my real name on here. I have regretted some of the things I've said, but those were things I shouldn't have said or didn't mean whether I was identifying myself or not.

Hey ...what up ...I like to be a dick head and spray and I am not the only one that likes the anonymity of an avatar ...just look at Peter Puget, the black belt internet spraymaster of CC.com he even has his own forum

What would we do with out PeterPuget, mattp, pope, Dwayner/raindawg, JosephH and there never ending ethics debates :rolleyes: lighten up guys :brew:

• 2 years later...