[TR] Darrington - Dreamer 7/15/2007

Off_White

Trip: Darrington - Dreamer

Date: 7/15/2007

Trip Report:

After playing around on The Mule at Big Four on Saturday afternoon, DJ Dirty Ernie and I made the late night drive to the (Vanagon version of the) end of the Clear Creek road. The merest patter of rain on the roof at 6am convinced us to sleep in another couple hours, ensuring that we'd be last in line of the four parties on this route on a gloriously overcast July day. A little foot dragging kept us out of the cluster zone and avoided sharing belays, but ensured we'd have to head down after pitch 6 so the DJ could make it home to PDX.

There have been plenty of reports on this route, so I only have a couple things to add:

>Double ropes and long slings rule, we experienced no rope drag at any point.

>Considering that I first climbed at Darrington in 1978, it's remarkable to me that this was my first time up this swell chunk of stone.

Dreamer_01.jpg

typical "blue crack" photo

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That was us in front of you. Jared said the guy's name was Off. I was wondering if it was you.

Hah, I had to wonder when Jared said he was from Bellingham, but it seems so gauche to ask "oh, what do you post as?" You gotta figure though that out of six other people there someone had to be cc connected. Did the guy from Stillaguamish send you any shots taken from the side of the undercling pitch?

The only question I have is where you got that awesome green pinstriped shirt, Off! I have a pair of pinstriped wool climbing slacks and I think a shirt like that would really compliment them. Sorry to hear you guys ran out of time. If you give it another shot make sure that you get to lead the pitch above the blue crack. The transition from undercling back onto the face is pretty intense.

I find I climb better when dressed in a dapper manner, don't you?

Yeah, next pitch looked great, but bailing was prudent, as it was we didn't get back to Tenino until after 11 and Ben still had to get to Portland from there. Earlier start next time, maybe do the Dreamer Direct or Urban Bypass start rather than the Safe Sex pitches...