silviretta's

Any comment's on the new 555's. Also where would you suggest to get the cheapest pair (or new 505's). Unless I'm just getting cheaper in my old age, Barrabes seems like they are getting more expensive. Before shipping they are $186

Frankly, I really don't know much about AT gear but I'm finally ready to plunk down the dough and want to do it right. Correct me if i'm wrong in assuming that Silvirettas are the only binding that works well with mountaineering boots. And for what it is worth, when forced to downhill I am reasonably competant and fairly aggressive.

Thanks in advance -TG

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if I would say the ONLY...but they are likely the best. They are specifically designed to work well with plastics and other crampon compatible boots.

Silverrettas are NEVER cheap..even on prodeal. I have an older pair of 400s and I am plenty happy with them.

It is specifically the Silvretta 404s and 500s which work w/ many mountaineering boots (due to a wire bail in front). The 555's are designed more for AT boots, and will not take many mountaineering boots due to the plastics on the toe piece. I have 500s and have been quite happy with them, both inbounds and out. Some question their release. I have not had a problem with prerelease or lack of it, but I'm not a hardcore either. [geek]

whoops, the 505's have a wire bail too. Don't have any info on their compatibility though. I recall the issue with Invernos, for example, was the excessively-high heel, and some had trouble getting them into at bindings. I gotta say I'm pretty miserable skiing in my invernos with a pack on.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the tips.

I recieved my S 500's last tuesday. I had them mounted on new skis from telemark-pyrenees. Amazingly cheap, after I looked around a bit.

The ski's I got are Hagen TS extreme's. 130cm - 92,74,84. Very short and light. Just what I want to pack up.

I used them for the first time yesterday in a local coulior. The top was about 50 degrees and eased to about 40 as it narrowed to about 20' wide then slowly leveled as it ran out. 1800 ft vertical drop total. Frankly, I was over my head. I had trouble controlling my speed and spent some of the time side slipping just to get down.

My question is this. The bindings are set well back on the boards so it seems that I did not have enough braking force with the tails of the skis. Is this a correct assesment, do I just have to live with it if I use skis so short, or am I just a gumby that needs to increase my skill?

The skis were fast, turned quickly and felt good. I just couldn't dump speed well.

[ 06-03-2002, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: Terminal Gravity ]