Mountainproject.com Does it suck or rule?

billcoe

I just went to add something to that database. I had put a couple of earlier routes on it.

Wondering what you all think about that site? CC.com doesn't try and do the same thing, ie have a massive database of routes. Obviously they are going to make a buck on the routes we add, but we can also peruse the database for knowledge, and new routes are easy to get beta.

Thoughts:

Link

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is there not many listed Washington routes?

Washington's frustrating short climbing season coupled with a growing population of radical anti-bolt mullahs preaching their own brand of rhetoric have really discouraged public displays of new crags.

Like any of you need to be reminded.

Too bad, I have a dozen great late model 5.11/12s with low miles, only climbed a couple times by a little lady who did not use chalk...

The parts of that site that started as local climbing areas are VERY good. For example, the contents of ClimbingBoulder.com, ClimbingRedRocks.com, ClimbingJoshuaTree.com, etc.

Many of the new areas like Washington and British Columbia have so little information and consensus, that they are hardly worth reading.

Just my 2 cents.

I started looking at Climbingredrocks and Climbingjoshuatree years ago, have gotten a lot out of them. Its also nice to scope out different areas and get a feel for them. CC.com is great and all but sometimes its nice to look at climbs instead of bullshit :)

I think this is a really good application of the wiki/open source model. Cragging is something people do for fun, and people are willing to use up a ton of their free time doing their fun stuff and other things related to their fun stuff.

If this website caught on for our areas in Washington it could be full of good info and kept more up-to-date than any guidebook could be. In fact, it looks like the Index section is pretty good already. And Leavenworth has a decent start, anyway.

I think this is a really good application of the wiki/open source model. Cragging is something people do for fun, and people are willing to use up a ton of their free time doing their fun stuff and other things related to their fun stuff.

If this website caught on for our areas in Washington it could be full of good info and kept more up-to-date than any guidebook could be. In fact, it looks like the Index section is pretty good already. And Leavenworth has a decent start, anyway.

JON....TIMMMMAY...got yer ears on?

Yeahhhh: straighten up and get yer ass to work ya lazy slacker.

Here's an idea to implement: link the TR's to the route database, so that any jackass like Moi can hit it as a quick link when they are pulling up a route. Furthermore, better than listing TR's as most recent: let your customers rate them with stars or a scale from 1-10, and put the best TR's on top with the ones that suck on the bottom.

Your TR's will get better as a result as well.

There is of course, no charge for this information as usual Porter. Have a nice day! :wave:

Something we could consider doing. To this point our TR database has been the focus...not actually serving as a guidebook. I'll talk with my brohams.

Why reinvent the wheel? Mountainproject has a pretty sophisticated infrastructure that has been developed over something like 8 years. It is probably the cleanest and best RC database I've seen on the net. Instead of implementing another route database of marginal utility (eg, rockclimbing.com) help the WA mountainproject area mature.

Cascadeclimbers will always exist as a useful community forum and TR depository that is wholly distinct from (and complementary to) sites like mountainproject.

Bill's suggestion above to rank TRs and improve TR searching is a fantastic one.

I have contributed a few things to mtnproj and I have commented on a few routes. In principle the idea is good especially for new info. But the problem is that only one person controls the content. For instance, I found some inaccuracies and quite a bit missing in one route description. The only way I could add anything was via a comment. It would have been nice if I could have filled in the missing info and made corrections.

So IMHO it needs to be more wiki style so that others can edit and add pertinent material when necessary.

Here's an idea to implement: link the TR's to the route database, so that any jackass like Moi can hit it as a quick link when they are pulling up a route.

I got a better idea. People on MountainProject.com should put links in the route database to TR's on cascadeclimbers.com!

At present people submitting TR's to cc.com can (and sometimes do) link to specific route-info on mp.com. DIY!