Tatoosh Traverse ?'s

scottgg

Not sure what happened.....

Anyway, I'm planning on giving the Tatoosh Traverse a go in mid August. I'd like to start at Longmire, traverse the 12 peaks, and descend to a bike on the Snow Lake side. I'm wondering about leaving the crampons behind, and avoiding any rappels? Possible? Realistic? Also, what is a good time to shoot for?

Thanks!

Edited by scottgg

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've only done the 7 peak trip from Pinnacle to Wapaheyho, going from Reflection Lakes to Longmire w/car shuttle. Done that trip 3 times. Never needed crampons or a rope on any of it. Usually took 10-11 hours TH to TH at a fairly moderate pace.

(In order: Pinnacle, Plummer, Denman, Lane, Eagle, Chutla and Wapaneyho)

Also, as far as I know, Castle is the only 'climb' in the Tatoosh. The rest are scrambles. (Castle is the only peak in the Tatoosh that I haven't been up, so you can't take my word for anything about it.) I've scrambled Foss, Boundary, and Stevens before. I've climbed Unicorn, but there were people scrambling past us on another route.

The castle...the guide book says a scramble, it looked more like death choss to me so I opp-ed for a solo of the 5.7 dihedral it's short but a bit much for a down climb.

Lane can be trickie finding the entrance to the scramble, Unicorn the real summit is not the horn of the unicorn witch is a might bit hard to be considered a scramble but was TEVA do-able.

You didn't want to much beta did ya...it would ruin the onsight

Good luck

I've done 6 of them in a half day. Don't bother with a rope if you are ok with downclimbing, and while crampons won't be required, you might want an axe or trekking poles to help cross any lingering snowpatches. Most of it is just scree walking without much elevation gain so your time will depend on whether you walk or run on the easier stuff. Fun place.