Index Rockfall

DCramer

The recent rockfall in the Country are above Zoom has been the subject of a previous thread BUTyesterday I while checking out the area I saw lots of new chalk on routes directly below here =>

rockfall.jpg

Apologies for the poor photo quality but the large rocks ready to leap off the cliff should still be easy to see. I would think twice about climbing any of the routes around Zoom

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that someone takes the initiative to do some safety trundling soon.

I am working on the east coast until 8/11, but would happy to rap in and do some cleaning if still needed at that time.

I've climbed in the Country a couple of times since the rockfall, but stayed away from the left side of the tunnel.

Be safe.

Cheers.

Jimbo

I agree something should be done. The next time I can get out there is next weekend but I'll have two young kids in tow so I'd have to stay on the ground. That said any work will be a big project closing off a wide area of the cliff. If there is enough interest (PM me), I'd be happy to talk to the Parks Dept, bring some drinks and help coordinate from the ground.

Edited by DCramer

I really hope that someone takes the initiative to do some safety trundling soon.

I am working on the east coast until 8/11, but would happy to rap in and do some cleaning if still needed at that time.

I've climbed in the Country a couple of times since the rockfall, but stayed away from the left side of the tunnel.

Be safe.

Cheers.

Jimbo

Fender?

This weekend?

OK, I’ll be the first to admit trying to get something going while saying I have to stay on the ground is lame BUT I am surprised there is so little desire to give the area a full check-up and toss off the big hunks. One person said they would be up for Sunday. Any other volunteers? Arch?

The mountains will be wet!

Not that the area should be considered completely safe but the tree has been removed as well as any loose rocks, branches,and dirt that seemed to pose a risk. From the ledge where the tree was I noticed that Orc Tower could use an inspection by some brave soul. There seemed to be a few smaller blocks that could easily fall off. The routes below the ledge seem unharmed but have a significant amount of dirt on the holds.

Actually the beers are owed to Chuck Mortimer. He did all the chopping and sawing that allowed us to cut the tree loose from the ledge. I gave it the final push which was pretty exciting since it made a lot of noise. Some of the blocks were fun to toss off the edge as well but probably made a fraction of the noise that the actual rockfall did. Since Chuck actually brews some damn tasty beer then maybe you could contribute something for his brewing operation and probably get yourself some tasty brew in the process. All his beers have names borrowed from Index climbs that he's done. You will probably see him there with his dog Teddy on any given weekend.

Actually the beers are owed to Chuck Mortimer. He did all the chopping and sawing that allowed us to cut the tree loose from the ledge. I gave it the final push which was pretty exciting since it made a lot of noise. Some of the blocks were fun to toss off the edge as well but probably made a fraction of the noise that the actual rockfall did. Since Chuck actually brews some damn tasty beer then maybe you could contribute something for his brewing operation and probably get yourself some tasty brew in the process. All his beers have names borrowed from Index climbs that he's done. You will probably see him there with his dog Teddy on any given weekend.

OK, I’ll be the first to admit trying to get something going while saying I have to stay on the ground is lame BUT I am surprised there is so little desire to give the area a full check-up and toss off the big hunks. One person said they would be up for Sunday. Any other volunteers? Arch?

The mountains will be wet!

Sorry, I didn't see this post until today--or else I would have been there.

Next time!!