Trail Running Shoes

Wopper

I am currently using a regular old pair of New Balance running shoes for my trail running escapades. While at SORR-EI on Sunday I was looking at their selection of trail running shoes and wondering if they actually provided more support/stability? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

[ 04-30-2002, 08:12 AM: Message edited by: Wopper ]

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It depends on the brand, but typically trail running shoes are a little closer to cross-trainers in being able to withstand lateral forces (stuff that would blow out the sides of a track shoe over time). The trail running shoes often have more agressive soles which can wear faster than road shoe soles, but help with ascents and (especially) descents on loose, or muddy, terrain. The NB shoes I've looked at don't differ much at all from their road counterparts though the road shoes were white whereas the trail ones were colored.

Yeah, I was looking at the NB and the Montrails. I am very fond of my NB road shoes and very fond of my Montrail boots. What about gore-tex shoes? I have heard pros and cons on both sides.

[ 04-30-2002, 08:31 AM: Message edited by: Wopper ]

You can use your street running shoes for trails most of the time just fine. If you log most of your miles on pavement you might want to stick with your current NB's (replaced about every 300-400 miles).

I've got a pair of Montrail Vitesse II and I like them for trails. They have a single density EVA sole so an excessive pronator/supinator might find them a little unstable. The plus side is that they are supposed to land more evenly on uneven surfaces.

Goretex for running shoes? Sure, if you don't sweat and can keep water from running down your legs and into your shoes. For some people it makes sense but I get too hot and it would only trap more heat.

In the end, whatever fits will probably work for you.

The Montrail Vitesse has achieved legendary status among ultra-runners. They've got a new shoe this year, the Diablo, that looks great --doesn't have the funky clunky sole of the Vitesse. The NB 704 and 804 both look great, too. I prefer Asics (the Trabuco is a current favorite) because they fit my feet. Adidas and NB fit me also, but I'm brand loyal after the many great times that Asics Excalibur GTs carried me to and through.

Hours long slogs with wet feet will give anyone blisters. Gore-tex comes into its own if you're mud-bogging, or going over snow. It also helps keep out trail grit, but is pretty steamy in the heat.

Ultra-running websites will have more info.

I have both Aidas Response and Trail Response shoes. The Trail Response have a noticable denser sole and more lateral stability. I find the increased lateral stability to make a huge difference in ankle support. I have rolled my ankle numerous times in other shoes, but never while wearing the Trail Response.

I've got the Asics Gel Trabucco and I'm a little disappointed with their durability. The little rubber part on the nose of the right one is peeling away, as is the sole on the outside edge. I haven't been abusing them too badly, only used them for a handful of cragging approaches and road runs. I've put much more walking mileage on them than running mileage, and have only had them since the end of December 2001.

They're comfortable and supportive, but the rubber on the bottom is slippery on smooth wet surfaces, even some sidewalks.

Wopper,

I run at Pt Defiance from time to time. I got good and lost there once, turning a one hour run into a 2 1/2 hour run. I usually run in the Issaquah alps. Crazy how popular it has become. I used to run with no other company than the bear and deer, but now there are many trail runners.