Beacon Accident?

phillygoat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm a weirdo and almost always climb the right side and just bitch n' yammer w/ no pro until at the top of the tower (perhaps i've become too complacent soloing moderate ground at beacon?)- occurs to me that i actually have a boat-anchor #6 tech-friend now - as i'm 3000 miles away currently and can't check it for myself, is that 6 inch piece too small for the right-side variation?

how the fuck do you put a bolt behind a flake?

First place the bolt.

Second move the flake.

Third tie the flake in place with webbing so it doesn't fall off.

Last, scare the crap out of the idiots (my self included) that grab the webbing, clip the bolt, look at the anchor and finally figure out what is going on.

It wasn't at beacon but you asked the question. I'll see if I can dig up the picture

Edited by SnailEye

The climber who fell at Beacon is the brother of a co-worker. He fell ~20 feet when stopped to place his first piece. I do not know what route. He fell onto his torso, receiving broken ribs, a broken collar bone, a punchered lung, and a deep cut to his calf. No head injuries and nothing life threatening, just a bad beating.

Hey buddy-

Not sure if it's his piece, but I found a Kong/Flex cam hidden behind a flake while I was pokin' around on the right side of FFA. PM me when you find the time- I'd be happy to return it, though I know it's not the top priority right now.

best wishes,

phillip

sounds like a clue to me. i think i'm getting a clue.......... oh my god i really have a clue now.

Huh? Say what you mean. I can't find my rosetta stone and am unable to decipher what exactly you're driving at. I'm not some sleuth.

Thanks Mr. Pink.

[Not sure if it's his piece, but I found a Kong/Flex cam hidden behind a flake while I was pokin' around on the right side of FFA. PM me when you find the time- I'd be happy to return it, though I know it's not the top priority right now.

best wishes,

phillip

Ah, Phillip. You found my piece.

I'm the dork who greased off there on Saturday and who feels really lucky to have just been discharged from the hospital with no more than a couple of busted ribs and some very sore muscles.

First thing I want to say is many, many thanks to the guys who immobilized me and hauled my ass up the trail. I'll be writing them separately, though, through John the ranger.

Regarding the cause of the fall, I don't know. I'd led it years ago and didn't remember it being too awful. (Maybe I was younger and fitter and more skilled then??) I don't know why I came off--I don't *remember* coming off. I do remember not liking the pro before I came off, but I wasn't gripped and expecting to fall.

Anyway, I feel very fortunate. I got beat up pretty good but it could've been lots worse. For the record, I don't have a brother. (?) I busted ribs but no collarbone. Got a nice puncture in my calf. And a very slight numo thorax--no reinflation needed, thank you.

I got great care and support from everybody involved, and I'm deeply grateful.

David