Beacon Accident?

phillygoat

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No idea. I was there with Ujhan and Stan Millar and after toping out YW we headed out. Must have been @ 11:30am when we left as we didn't see a thing. Must have happened after - we were pretty warm/hot.

Hope everything is OK. Didn't see it on the news, maybe you have a link Phillip?

I did see this which I find damn strange:

Wash. man's neck broken at Yankee Stadium

Paul Robinson, 53, of Kirkland, Wash., was sitting in the stadium's steep upper deck with his wife and 13-year-old son last Sunday when an unidentified fan standing above him took a violent tumble down several rows of seats.

"His neck is in a big brace. He's not paralyzed. Luckily, the surgery was very, very successful," said Steven Osborne, a spokesman for Montefiore Medical Center. "And this is a miracle, because that vertebrae, if you go a fraction of an inch, you're paralyzed, or you can't breathe."

The man crashed into Robinson's head, breaking his vertebrae, then came to rest in the next row.

"It felt like my head had been ripped off," Robinson told the Daily News from his hospital bed.

EMT's took Robinson to the hospital, where surgeons put a screw in his neck to help it heal."

Sorry not to be of any help.

I was at a Seahawks game long ago at the Kingdom. Two drunks got in a fight. One of them picked up the other and hurled him down several seats. He landed on empty seats on his back. That had to hurt. The guy actually got up and went at the other guy again, but security was there before they could batter each other some more.

Hey folks-

Just caught the channel 2 news that said a helicopter lifted an injured, 45-yr old climber from Beacon rock. There were few details besides the climber having head/neck injuries. Anyone know who it is? My thoughts are with him...

I was boating on the river around Beacon, I watched climbers about 1-2 and 4-5 pm. I didn't see any helicopters or accidents.

Hey folks-

Just caught the channel 2 news that said a helicopter lifted an injured, 45-yr old climber from Beacon rock. There were few details besides the climber having head/neck injuries. Anyone know who it is? My thoughts are with him...

I was boating on the river around Beacon, I watched climbers about 1-2 and 4-5 pm. I didn't see any helicopters or accidents.

I was driving around and also down on the boat dock around 3 or so today....did not see anyting unusual.....hope the person is ok.

Jim said Kyle said it was a fellow from La Grande who had never been out before and fell out of the 5.8 side of the pillar start to ffa. If I picture it right that would have the potential for a fairly nasty fall. Sorry to hear such tidings...

Edit: Oops - just saw your post Cobra. Well, there you have it from several folks...

word is it was someone climbing the 5.8 shit start to free for all, fell, and landed on his head. he was carried out, conscious, in a litter.

Bill - good to see you today. knowing my identity - with great power comes great responsibility!

i thought everyone knew who The Commander was? :P

word is it was someone climbing the 5.8 shit start to free for all, fell, and landed on his head. he was carried out, conscious, in a litter.

Bill - good to see you today. knowing my identity - with great power comes great responsibility!

i thought everyone knew who The Commander was? :P

I'm a clam.

These dudes don't know jack S* Rudy, your secret is safe with me.

Maintenance workers at the park said the climber was taken to a life flight helo near the boat ramp around 4p. Apparently, there were lots of police, fire and ambulance and a helicopter. We were on the ledge taking a break and somehow missed the whole thing.

Sometimes life flights are only precautionary due to the distance to a major hospital. Hopefully, the climber is alright.

I don't know if he was on FFA but Jim told me that the first part is very dangerous and there is no pro. That was enough to keep me off it. Anyone have any other opinions of the climb?

Maintenance workers at the park said the climber was taken to a life flight helo near the boat ramp around 4p. Apparently, there were lots of police, fire and ambulance and a helicopter. We were on the ledge taking a break and somehow missed the whole thing.

Sometimes life flights are only precautionary due to the distance to a major hospital. Hopefully, the climber is alright.

I don't know if he was on FFA but Jim told me that the first part is very dangerous and there is no pro. That was enough to keep me off it. Anyone have any other opinions of the climb?

The right side of the pillar is kind of a neat climb, although there is pro, it is kind of blind placements. In 11 years of climbing at Beacon, I have climbed FFA maybe 50 times, I have climbed the right side of the pillar one time. That was enough for me.

So, got the word today from John. It was a 45yo PDX local who was on the rightside of FFA. He was carried out to the climbers' trailhead, then driven to a field next to a school on a loop road just West of Beacon. He was wearing a helmet and fell on his side. He is not in the ICU and though banged up badly he should recover.

Ditto on Kevin's FFA rightside comment above...

Edited by JosephH

So, got the word today from John. It was a 45yo PDX local who was on the rightside of FFA. They were carried out to the climbers' trailhead, then driven to a field next to a school on a loop road just West of Beacon. They were wearing a helmet and fell on their side. The are not in the ICU and though banged up badly they should recover.

Ditto on Kevin's FFA rightside comment above...

Thanks for the info J..... You say "they"? Did more than one person get hurt?

It is sometimes a little nerve wracking to see people who are new the area (or new to trad even) gearing up for that side of the flake.

Hopefully they did not hurt their back on that pointy rock at the base.

J - thanks for replacing the slings, etc on mid free for some.

Note there is some poison oak creeping up onto the approach trail, near where the trail bends at the east face.

The climber who fell at Beacon is the brother of a co-worker. He fell ~20 feet when stopped to place his first piece. I do not know what route. He fell onto his torso, receiving broken ribs, a broken collar bone, a punchered lung, and a deep cut to his calf. No head injuries and nothing life threatening, just a bad beating.

The climber who fell at Beacon is the brother of a co-worker. He fell ~20 feet when stopped to place his first piece. I do not know what route. He fell onto his torso, receiving broken ribs, a broken collar bone, a punchered lung, and a deep cut to his calf. No head injuries and nothing life threatening, just a bad beating.

Sounds like it.

Grapevine: He was on the right side of Free for All - 5.8. Had a cam in and decided to hang on it. Pulled.

Wishin him a fast recovery.

added: If he wants to do it again, he can run it out, say a prayer and try not to fall like everyone else, or he can borrow my tube chocks or Big Bros. Like Kevin said earlier - he's led the left side maybe 50 times, the right side once.

Hope this was not as bad as it sort of is sounding ..