Diamir Freeride

iain

I use the Freeride after years of using Silvretta 404s. I'm very pleased with mine; they're lighter than the Silvrettas. Many of my friends have the original Diamer or the Diamir 2 and have only had minor durability issues. Still, I appreciate the extra beefiness and higher tension springs. I feel that the extra beefiness is worth the extra ounce or two. They also come standard with brakes which the originals did not. This accounts for some of the extra weight.

FYI: I ordered mine from www.telemark-pyrenees.com in France (Freerides in the "Standard" length are sold-out in North America). They only cost me $205US AND they got them here in 2 days. I highly recommend these guys! [smile]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The freeride is stronger as Mike said and as noted has a greater DIN, though heavier.

Then why use it? For winter and spring, the extra beef of the binding is needed to power bigger, fatter boards for bigger, faster, more technical descents. Think go big, or go home [Cool]

For summer, and some spring or winter ski traverses, where the goal is not hard descents--save weight with smaller skis, and the titanal 2's or dynafti tourlites.

Dynafits need a dedicated boot for attachment [Frown]

Decide if you are big, and enjoy gravity like me, or tall, skinny and work hard for traverses when you get your bindings.

All said you could use any of the systems for all types of skiing, just not at a optimum application.

Just be happy you're not using the super heavy Alpine Trekkers--really only good for hardcore descents and big air (since you get to keep your alpine bindings) and those with huge powerful legs to carry all that weight. [Wink]

[chubit][big Drink][Moon]

• 3 weeks later...

I have not used this binding myself. However my friend who is not a large fellow recently had a heel piece blow out on his Freeride binding. The failure was at a small plastic hinge pin. He was able to return the broken piece for a replacement from tele-pyr with little hassle. The bindings were bought earlier this season and used predominantly for touring, perhaps 25 days.