• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by EV:

Thanks for the help, Eric.

I checked the search engine, no luck.

I should have counted on such a response from a chickenshit web site like this one.

sniffle sniffle.......

apprrently the gaper has a better handle on it.......

on betray!!! flail when ready!!!

I've tried using a Gri Gri. When you get out far enough on the lead, the weight of the rope starts becoming a real problem, keeping the Gri Gri open. It becomes real tough to pull slack through and keep it through.

I would suggest clove hitch and frequent back-tying.

Alex

The Gri Gri is the only device I use for soloing. MUCH easier than cloves and the rope won't burn through either. When you get far enough out on lead you have to watch for too much slack sliding through the device, but that's about it. Pulling rope through as you're moving up is cake when aiding, a little more difficult when free climbing.

Don't forget to backtie and ignore all the people who encourage Gri Gri modifications.

Yos is right about the modifcations. I solo with the gri gri and love it. I tape the handle down to make sure it doesn't catch on the rope when falling. I use prusik loops about 2 feet long so the rope doesn't go back through. Heres a link to a better explanation of it. http://www.rockclimbing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?mode=viewtopic&topic=2062&forum=40&start=0

Pete knows the most about it on there. Hope it helps