Dwayner on TV

Raindawg

For you archaeology (and climbing) fans, "Dwayner" will be on TV this Sunday night, 9 PM, on the Discovery Channel on a program called: "Secrets of Egypt's Lost Queen".

A few years ago, "Dwayner" rediscovered a lost tomb in which was a mummy that has just been identified as one of the most famous rulers of Egypt.

The show should have some dramatic footage inside some spooky, dangerous places, and includes an attempt to enter a remote desert tomb located in the middle of a chossy limestone cliff. The rock being too rotten to set up a reasonably safe rappel station for the TV production, Plan B was enacted involving the use of the world's biggest "cheater stick" to enter the tomb. (And it was a lot scarier than rappeling!)

Some of you might find it all quite interesting.

Here's a link:

Hatshepsut Rediscovered

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way cool Don!

For you archaeology (and climbing) fans, "Dwayner" will be on TV this Sunday night, 9 PM, on the Discovery Channel on a program called: "Secrets of Egypt's Lost Queen".

A few years ago, "Dwayner" rediscovered a lost tomb in which was a mummy that has just been identified as one of the most famous rulers of Egypt.

The show should have some dramatic footage inside some spooky, dangerous places, and includes an attempt to enter a remote desert tomb located in the middle of a chossy limestone cliff. The rock being too rotten to set up a reasonably safe rappel station for the TV production, Plan B was enacted involving the use of the world's biggest "cheater stick" to enter the tomb. (And it was a lot scarier than rappeling!)

Here's a link:

Hatshepsut Rediscovered

...Plan B was enacted involving the use of the world's biggest "cheater stick" to enter the tomb. ...[/url]

How many bolts were used? Sounds like he took all the adventure out of it. I tell ya, archeologists these days grow up in the safe environment of the university and think they are entitled to a 100% risk-free experience... Leaving holes in the rock... It's a travesty I tell ya!

Just razzin' ya. I'm looking forward to watching it.

Rain on TV? Damn...I wish I had cable.....matter of fact....I wish I had a TV!

No ya don't, cause then you'd want teeth next, then pants that don't have holes, then shoes: then you'd get all uppity and be too high and mighty good for the rest of us.

Best just stay the way ya are: perfect. :wave:

:lmao:

Congrats to both. Cannot help but thinking that digging up bones could lead to another ethics argument though, but since not climbing related, probably better for another page.

That is true....but how is archeology climbing related?

Dudes...there's climbing in the show. Otherwise I probably wouldn't post it here, although it might serve to demonstrate to some that I actually am a professional explorer rather than some punk spraying from a keyboard in mom's basement. And a lot of the show takes place in Egypt's arid Theban mountains.

I've had a number of good opportunities to take advantange of my climbing skills in applications other than pure recreation. For this TV film, as noted above, we addressed the problem of trying to reach a tomb in the middle of a remote cliff. Both climbing from below and coming down to the top were really quite dangerous options although we had to investigate both possibilities. The solution to the problem is somewhat funny as I believe they will be showing in the film. (I haven't seen it yet). We got into the tomb and I was able to rig some anchors in the much better rock within to bring other people up.

I visited another tomb on a higher cliff, in the same vicinity (southern wadis of the Theban Mountains) a few years ago for the BBC/A&E. In that case, I was able to put together a really nice set-up and was responsible not only for my own on-screen action, but safely supervised the BBC film crew who had never done much climbing. They loved it! The show is called "The Face of Tutankhamun"...and the cliff bits are in Episode 1 called "The Great Adventure". It's out on DVD (BBC Video)...I just recently bought a copy of it at some store in the Sea-Tac airport food/shopping area inside the concourses.

Actually, the whole 4 or 5 part program was really well made.

61T80V7PFEL._AA240_.jpg

...climbing from below and coming down to the top were really quite dangerous options...

Not to be an asshole or anything like that, but how do you and your colleagues think they entombed those mummies way up there in the cliff in the first place? I know the question is a lot like "How did the Egyptians build the Pyramids?", "How did the Anasazi build their cliff dwellings?", and "How did the Druids get the table stones on the top of Stonehenge?" and innumerable similar questions of historical significance. Just curious if you have a hypothesis as to how they might have dealt with the shitty rock sitmo.

Here's a link:

Hatshepsut Rediscovered

Congratulations!!!! I am so excited to see you on TV on my Birthday. it is serendipity!!!!! :moondance: and the perfect present ;)