After all that's happened in the past year..

everyfrog

Are hikers really becoming more and more moronic???? This guy in the Olympics who tried to climb mt. baldy and left his compass and map at base camp? give me a friggin' break! if you have been hiking in the olympics for 40 years, you should KNOW how deep and confusing it can be! complacency is not an excuse! anyone, 40 years of hiking or 4 months of hiking should know better! and hiking ALONE? i understand wanting to get away to solitude and such but with all the reports of everyone missing for several days, coming up dead or not, should be a red flag in any outdoor enthusiasts mind! if you don't know how to use a compass and map, Frank Chopin at Olympic College teaches an excellent class on hiking safety and survival in the fall! i've been hiking for five years in the Olympics and just took the class and learned so much and feel so much better and more confident about hiking!

it's just frustrating to read about these missing hiker stories that have been running rampant in the media for the past 18 months and people STILL GO OUT AND HIKE ALONE!!!!! And most of these people that return to civilization are quoted as "experienced hikers." If you're so experienced, then why didn't you take that goddamn compass and map with you!?!?!?!? AND STAY WHERE YOU ARE!!!! If the guy hadn't moved, they would have found him a lot sooner!

there may be more of those who have a successful solo trip and of course, in the media, most of the time, only the negative is reported, but i'd like to think or at least hope, that people are thinking twice before stepping outside alone, and when they DO go hiking, leave a note with housemates, spouses, friends, family, etc.

thanks for reading the rant, i'm just tired of it all but its not going to stop me from hiking. i just will never do it alone. i'm tempted but am way too smart to do that. I'd like to think that all the education I've gained the past year from experienced hikers has some merit to it. And that advice those experienced hikers have given me is the same stuff that rescue teams advise in the newspapers - take the 10, know how to use a map and compass and stay where you are if you're lost.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there may be more of those who have a successful solo trip and of course, in the media, most of the time, only the negative is reported,

You are so right. I just can't remember the last time I read an article about a regular joe who took an overnighter by himself and came back safe. Friggen liberal media!

Are hikers really becoming more and more moronic???? This guy in the Olympics who tried to climb mt. baldy and left his compass and map at base camp? give me a friggin' break! if you have been hiking in the olympics for 40 years, you should KNOW how deep and confusing it can be! complacency is not an excuse! anyone, 40 years of hiking or 4 months of hiking should know better! ....

Do not trust the news media who gives you information.

Most of my hiking (unless it's an approach to a climb) is alone. My favorite overnight backpacking trip ever was solo and I've never had an epic. I took a map and knew exactly where I was.

The scariest part about the whole deal for me is other people that are out there, but the stats for sickos attacking people in the woods is still probably lower than in suburbs.