Stairs for training

Anyone have any recommendations for a nice long set of stairs to use for training? I know that there are some good ones in Seattle (not sure where they are), but I would prefer to find something in Shoreline or South Edmonds since this is closer to home. Right now I use the stairs just west of the Richmond Beach Library which has the added advantage of nice sunsets.

My current training for an upcoming Rainier climb has been to every other day hike a steep hill with ~100 elevation change or climb a set of stairs with ~35' elevation change. With both I go for an hour with a 45 lb pack. It seems like stairs allow me to keep my heart rate up better but the hills work my calves more.

While I would rather train in the mountains I don't get out as often as I like so my training is limited evening hikes of stairs. Thanks!

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't help with any stair locations but I will give you my 2 cents. You are off to a great start but Rainier takes a bit longer then an hour to climb. If you can't get away on the weekends to do some long hikes, try riding a bike for an hour on your way to the stairs.

When I train with a heavy pack, I use a bunch of large water jugs to weigh my pack down. Dump the water at the top then cruise down.

You could load up your pack, ride to some stairs, do the stairs, empty the jugs, ride home as fast as you can, vomit, then repeat after your day off.

Enjoy the climb :)

I've climbed Mt. Rainier 35 times and have never trained with weight. I've directed folks over to the stairs on Capital Hill for a number of years. 10 Ave E & E Blaine is the top. Or start at the bottom of Lakeside Ave E and Blaine.

When gunning for a summit regardless of the peak, your legs need to have that engrained methodical pace that stairs will provide. Do those stairs as many times as you can (at least 10x) and you'll find the same cadence up the mountains. Good luck and feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

:yoda:

Here's a page that might help.

My opinion is that your workout will get you in good shape for the climb. It's approximately what I was doing when I climbed Rainier. I was also mixing in some 6-mile runs along with the stairs. You could also consider blitzing up Si or Mailbox, it would take a little more time but you could probably get it done in an evening.

I don't live in Seattle, so I can't give any specifc recommendations. However, I know Seattle has A LOT of hills. When I can't get out, for something substantial, I do steep hills. Long or short, pick any good hill and do it over and over again. I don't think you need actual stairs to get the benefit of stairs.

Thanks for all the advice. I have climbed Rainier and other Cascade volcanos before so fortunately I know what to expect. I have been able to get out a few times to hike up Si after work a which is always good for a reality check. This training method has worked for me in the past, though I wouldn't say I have ever overtrained for a climb. Fortunately I have never had problems with keeping a consistent pace.

One more question: when training on city hills or stairs, do you wear running shoes or mountaineering boots? I wear running shoes since they are much more comfortable and it saves the boot soles. Next time I train I suppose I could add ankle weights to simulate the added weight of boots.

BTW, the best training I have found yet was building retaining walls. Moving 43 tons of 30-250 pound rock throughout the yard and then lifting them into place (often more than once to get a good fit) did the trick.

I've found sprinting hills to be extremely effective. Theres a super good one in Shoreline just up from 175th (maybe 180th???) its not super long but nice and steep. Sprinting up then walking down, and doing that like thirty times will kick your ass!

Personally I prefer to sprint hills to stairs. The dad of my best friend ruptured his achilles because he missed a step once, so I'm kinda paranoid of stairs! Also, as you said you do get more calf development...

I've used Husky Stadium over at UW in the past. Although most of the tunnels are usually closed, there is typically one or two that is open that give you access to the lower part of the stadium. You can go up and down the rows and work your way around the stadium. Each row isn't too long but by going around and perhaps back you can get in a lengthy workout. With a full pack on my back, it was a worthwhile workout. Unfortunately, the upper deck which has the steeper stairs that would be great for training is always closed off when games are not going on.

• 3 weeks later...

I like Tiger Mountain West which is A fifteen minute drive from downtown seattle you get 2000 ft of elevation gain very quickly, i also do load my pack up to about 30 lbs,Ive never been a fan of stairs there a little to short and going up and down over and over seems a little silly in a area with so many steep hiking options.

Complete as many Burpees as possible in 20 minutes.

Burpees are good. So is skipping rope, 3-minute rounds with 1 minute rests. There are also a lot of great plyometric exercises which will work your calves/legs and your cardio. Tabata intervals are also killer.

Don't mean to Hijack the thread, but anyone have any ideas for stairs in the PDX area? I live in Hillsboro, about as flat as a lake- I go over to a local school that has about a twenty-step stairs and go up and down up and down...

Not in Hillsboro per se, but there is a good set of stairs leading up to the VA from Terwilliger. They're about 1-2 miles up the hill on the right from the gas station.

I'm not 100% on this, but I think you can run the stairs in the US bank tower, and the stairs in the Wells Fargo tower. You may have to explain yourself to security, but I beleive they'll let you do it.