• Announcements

• olyclimber

WELCOME TO THE CASCADECLIMBERS.COM FORUMS   02/03/18

We have upgraded to new forum software as of late last year, and it makes everything here so much better!  It is now much easier to do pretty much anything, including write Trip Reports, sell gear, schedule climbing related events, and more. There is a new reputation system that allows for positive contributors to be recognized,  it is possible to tag content with identifiers, drag and drop in images, and it is much easier to embed multimedia content from Youtube, Vimeo, and more.  In all, the site is much more user friendly, bug free, and feature rich!   Whether you're a new user or a grizzled cascadeclimbers.com veteran, we think you'll love the new forums. Enjoy!
Sign in to follow this  
BeyondGuide

Ski the South Sister?

I was thinking about heading up to the South Sister this week- is it worth bringing skis? Anyone know how much snow is left up there?

Go to the Mt. Bachy web site and look under conditions, then look at the web cams.

If you click on the cam showing south sister and broken top, it will enlarge and give you a better view. Keep in mind that it's about 4 miles of trail before you even get to the base of the climber's trail up south. But there are snowfields up there! :tup: Git after it!

Edited by hefeweizen

If you go before Friday, please drop a quick report. I'm headed up Saturday with some friends and would love to bring my skis if it was worth it. Thanks in advance.

Here's the south side from Sparks Lake as of Tuesday morning, July 10th. It's losing snow fast, but there's still a bit up there...

DSC0452.jpg

So I did end up climbing South Sister with a couple of friends and two dogs. Good exercise, but a climb of SS this late will be a once in a lifetime event for me. Basically just a long hike with a little skree thrown in at the top to slow you down. Damn glad that I didn't bring skis. Looks like it has been unskiable for a month or more. Wish I would have just worn running shoes.

I was up there sunday and it looked like some stubborn SOB got about 5 turns in below the ramp recently. I feel sory for him/her lugging skis all the way up there.

Edited by 111

I'm thinking about doing S Sister in the next couple of days...anyone got current conditions? I imagine it's pretty dry now. Worth taking skis?