Yates Adjustable Aider

Mike_Buker

While in Yosemite a few weeks back, not climbing El Cap, I ran into a couple that was climbing the route next to me. She was anchored into the wall with three pieces equalized and clipped to a Yates adjustable aider, girth-hitched to her harness. This set-up allowed her to instantly adjust the distance between herself and the anchor, while remaining attached. I've seen the same done with 6mil. cordage, but that required a convoluted Purcell knot. Is this an acceptable anchor?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

She was anchored into the wall with three pieces equalized and clipped to a Yates adjustable aider, girth-hitched to her harness.

[Wazzup]

The Yates adjustable daisies are rated to only 2000lbs. Personally, I would want something more bombproof to keep me from splattering into the deck. Daisies are fine for holding body weight. I use a daisy chain as a backup anchor when setting up my main anchor system, but I would NEVER use a single daisy as my main anchor.

Check out John Long's book, "Climbing Anchors" and "More Climbing Anchors" for some good examples of belay anchor systems.

[ 04-18-2002, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: bellemontagne ]

quote:

Originally posted by Mike Buker:

While in Yosemite a few weeks back, not climbing El Cap, I ran into a couple that was climbing the route next to me. She was anchored into the wall with three pieces equalized and clipped to a Yates adjustable aider, girth-hitched to her harness. This set-up allowed her to instantly adjust the distance between herself and the anchor, while remaining attached. I've seen the same done with 6mil. cordage, but that required a convoluted Purcell knot. Is this an acceptable anchor?

Aider or daisy? I have some metolius adjustable daisies as well as aiders. Love the daisies, hate the aiders for aid. They work great for jugging though.

I don't have a problem using my daisies as attachment points to the anchor. I usually clove hitch the rope from my tie-in to the anchor as well. I'd never just use a single attachment point.

Also kong makes adjustable daisies using 6mil cord (or is it 7mm?). Works just dandy.