Pull up induced decreased bicep range of motion?

Has anyone had problems with not being able to straighten their arms the next day after a lot of pull ups and/or a hard day of climbing? Not really painful but super super sore...

In addition that I also sometimes get light swelling at the base of my bicep close to the inside of my elbow.

Any tips for prevention/reduction/recovery? More stretching post work out? Protein? Water intake?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sounds like your losing flexiblity with increase mass in your biceps, in return putting stress on you biceps tendon. Do you usually do the same type of pullups or switch it up, meaning the way your palms face? you could be heading for a overuse injury..

For the swelling use some Arnica cream on the tendons or there is a gel called Tendon rescue, they have it at super supplement here dunno if there is one in PDX.

Try doing a google search for "biceps trigger points."

Spasms caused by weightlifting, pullups, climbing, etc can often be easily self-treated by finding the trigger points and deactivating them. Attempting to stretch a spasmed muscle is probably going to be counterproductive, as this can aggravate the trigger points rather than release them.

If you dig around the insertion points of your muscles with your thumbs, you can often find the trigger points intuitively(you will tend to go right to where the pain becomes exquisite--which is the trigger point). Press firmly on this spot for several seconds. Repeat several times throughout the day if needed, and be sure to look around the shoulder and lat area(especially under the scapula) for other correlating points that may be holding the one in your bicep in spasm. Often there's a network of them.

Good luck! :wave:

You may also want to find a good massage therapist, one who specializes in treating athletes. I used to go get deep tissue massages for similar problems a few years ago. Went about twice a month. Worked wonders for relieving stress induced aches and pains from workouts and training.

John, you're overworking your biceps and creating inflammation. Take a break you big lug. And all that other stuff: ice, massage, stretch. I doubt trigger points are the culprit.

Watch out man cuz it's pretty easy to rupture that tendon at your elbow, or impinge it in your shoulder.

And all that other stuff: ice, massage, stretch.

Not climb the ice John. :lmao: The stuff in the freezer, put the ice on the muscle or I'll finally be outclimbing you soon if you can't bend your arms.

This must be a crossfit thing. Get well, take care of yourself.

When doing your pull-ups you'll probably also want to widen your grip on the bar as this engages you shoulders and back more. Also kip correctly (push head through at end to get full extension and rebound to next pull) and it should become more full body and releive your biceps more.

I do 50/50 on pullups/chin ups. This helps but if you are doing lots of pulls you are going to get sore there no matter what.

Suppliment the fish oil always and add some asprin when injured.

For a well-rounded workout and build, you actually want to adjust your grip on a regular basis when doing pull ups. IOW: do close, neutral, and wide as well as palms toward you in the neutral position. You don't have to do these all at one workout if you don't want to, you can switch it up.

And to clarify on the "building muscle, losing flexibility" front. This is not a forgone conclusion (see Tom Platz for reference). If you don't stretch, you lose flexibilty (unless you are just naturally flexible, but that doesn't sound like its your problem). Remember to stretch when not injured, and get creative. Your bicept is meant to rotate your hand, so do stuff like put your arms out in front of you and slowly rotate your hands around (good beginning stretch after overworking your biceps). Good luck to you.

:laf: Thanks Fern... Helen didn't do me in... I'm looking forward to Helen tomorrow... it was Mon + Tue

Monday: 25 pull ups + 7 split jerks (135#) 5 rounds for time

Tuesday: 9 BW Deadlifts, 9 Pull-ups, 1 Rope Climb 5 rounds for time

Went to climbing gym Tuesday night... that was the tipping point.

Tuesday was rough but am already better today. And speaking of diet...

I'm down 11 lbs in 2 months... about 10% body fat. Still have a ways to go but it is slowly coming off.