[TR] Mt Rainier - Emmons Glacier 7/10/2007

Trip: Mt Rainier - Emmons Glacier

Date: 7/10/2007

Trip Report:

Climbed the Emmons Glacier monday. The route is still is good shape, relatively straight foward still. Most of the major crevasse hazards are wanded and much of the route itself is wanded. Summited at 7AM to bluebird skies, warm temps, and barely a breeze to be hard. Get at it before global warming turns Rainier into a huge pile of kitty litter.

SmallEmmonsRoutePhoto.JPG

The only problem occurred last night in NE Portland at 9:30 after a long day. Photos of the culprit:

Puncture.JPG

Puncture2.JPG

Gear Notes:

Lug Wrench and Jack

Approach Notes:

Follow the "Caution" tape into Glacier Basin

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be leaving on Sunday afternoon to climb the emmons route. We'll probably camp at Glacier Basin on Sunday evening. Is there water close by? I have only been on this route once before and we didn't camp there so I don't remember.

Also, trying to decide if approach shoes make sense with all the trail damage. Not sure if the 1 mile flagged portion out of the white river campground is wet/dry and also if it is prime ankle spraining terrain. What would you recommend? Thanks.

Yes, fresh water is (somewhat) close by.

Its not uncommon to see shoes stashed at the base of the interglacier. I have never worn them because my climbing boots are ubber light. One would have to decide if 3 miles (TH to the interglacier) in comfy shoes is worth the extra 6 pounds of boots on your back.

Im guessing you are camping at Shurman on Monday before heading to the summit?

Water... good to know. I suppose I can get more info from the rangers when we register.

I have only worn approach shoes (light weight boots) once on Baker just to try it out, and it didn't seem worth it. But I may try again someday just to be sure. Lighter climbing boots is probably the best solution.

Yes, Shurman on Monday night, unless Emmons Flats is all that is available.

Also, trying to decide if approach shoes make sense with all the trail damage. Not sure if the 1 mile flagged portion out of the white river campground is wet/dry and also if it is prime ankle spraining terrain. What would you recommend? Thanks.

I've done this several times, while going up it helps but on the way down its nice to switch back to approach shoes for the hike out. Havent been up there since all the damage.

TTT

• 3 weeks later...