stuff to make life easier

freeclimb9

I guess I'm a gear weenie.

I've got some stuff that I think is sweet, and that makes life a little easier without adding much weight to my pack.

For example, I've come to carry earplugs --those cheap foam ones that you roll and insert-- on all trips. They pretty much guarantee a good night's sleep. A flapping tent, or someone's snoring are no problem. I've even used them on a boat delivery to keep from going deaf.

MEC Schoeller gaiters. So nice in lots of different snow conditions for keeping shit out of my boots. They work for rocks and dirt, too. Now I want a similar pair for my running shoes.

Handi-wipes from KFC. Silly, but quite nice to wipe the salt, dirt, and sunscreen off at the end of the day. Also provides "just showered freshness" after a growler.

Jive-ass goggles. A local gear shop had these bogus snowboard googles for cheap (<$10) --they look like swim goggles. They suck for snowboarding, but are priceless in the mountains in high winds.

Anybody else carry weird little things to make trips more enjoyable?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freeclimb......

most things that are brought on a trip be my serve a purpose.....i dont like to pussyfoot around up thar in them hills....cuz there is so much other fun stuff to do.....

extra luxeries equal more weight.....

though i will admit all that titanium crap does make nice for reducing mess kit/ stove issues....

and when it comes down to it, regardless of the junk your bring with you, you are gonna do it or your not.....

and i am not a badass or a good climber either, probably closer to sketchy and dumb more then anything......

Erik,

I wasn't talking about fuzzy bunny slippers and a lava lamp. Just stuff that folks may carry that they consider useful and that others might not have thought of. Like earplugs. They're awesome. At the beginning of a river trip years ago in Moab I awoke in the morning to find all my co-trippers red-eyed and in foul moods. Seems a party of Germans kept them awake all night. I had slept through all the singing. Worth carrying that 0.025 ounces of foam, IMHO. And I carry goggles into the hills because I find graupel bouncing off my corneas to be painful. And on a Wind River trip I threw in some foam moleskin bullshit from Albertsons that saved the trip when my buddy and I both got raw heals after a few days of climbing and hiking. Turned out it was much better than felt moleskin, but I haven't found it again at the supermarket.

And then there's the seemingly superfulous stuff that turns out to not be. For instance, on a long ago expedition, I shook my head when one guy bought a handful of trash novels at the airport. But those same novels became a godsend when stormbound for two weeks. And now I can converse knowledgebly about the writings of Elmore Leonard. Who'd have thunk it?

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

quote:

Originally posted by willstrickland:

Earplugs...how the hell do your hear your alarm?

They don't screen out all noise, nor do they screen all frequencies equally. I hear the alarm on my wristwatch, no problem.

I know a guy that duct taped his watch to his head when he wore ear plugs. Now there's a system! [big Grin]

quote:

Originally posted by freeclimb9:

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:

Pink Flamingo.

As in the Movie? Are you a fan of Divine?

I am Divine's love child [Razz]

No Im saying a plastic pink flamingo is the 11th esential. It jazzes up summit pics and it gives slow parties an incentive to let you pass. Also you can ride it down the Roman wall. Additionally it is a chick magnet and a passable pillow.

quote:

No Im saying a plastic pink flamingo is the 11th esential. It jazzes up summit pics and it gives slow parties an incentive to let you pass. Also you can ride it down the Roman wall. Additionally it is a chick magnet and a passable pillow.

No need for flamingo…My "stiff one eye" is a chick magnet and can do all of the above

[big Grin][big Grin][laf][laf][Razz][Wazzup]

quote:

Originally posted by IceIceBaby:

quote:

No need for flamingo…My "stiff one eye" is a chick magnet and can do all of the above

[big Grin][big Grin][laf][laf][Razz][Wazzup]
But will your girlfriend like it when you stick it in her lawn for her birthday [Confused]

[Razz]

Take a half lliter MSR Fuel bottle, drill a 3/8" hole at a 45 degree angle. Go to your local head shop, buy the glass stem and sleeve kit. Also, get the rubber gasket to fit the 3/8" hole. Insert sleeve. Insert stem. Fill with snow/ ice/ water. Insert tobacco(whacky variety). Obtain flamage and bubble, bubble, bubble. Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, cough. Buzzzzzzzzz. It makes the trip enjoyable. (Not like I do that or anything.) [Eek!]

I also carry the tibetan variety prayer flags for aesthetics and support.

quote:

Originally posted by Crackbolter:

Take a half lliter MSR Fuel bottle, drill a 3/8" hole at a 45 degree angle. Go to your local head shop, buy the glass stem and sleeve kit. Also, get the rubber gasket to fit the 3/8" hole. Insert sleeve. Insert stem. Fill with snow/ ice/ water. Insert tobacco(whacky variety). Obtain flamage and bubble, bubble, bubble. Cough, cough, cough, cough, cough, cough. Buzzzzzzzzz. It makes the trip enjoyable. (Not like I do that or anything.)
[Eek!]

I also carry the tibetan variety prayer flags for aesthetics and support.

ive heard that a lexan nalgene bottle heated slightly and shaped with a spoon allows for a natural angle for the stem...and you can supposidly do this while at basecamp.....

icwe also heard that you can take a nalgene bottle, drill out the center of the lid and then drill another hole in the lid next to it and put said bowl in center hole and then use rubber tubing to make a mouth piece and an extension for the bowl into the water chamber.....

so i have heard.........